• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

P2 Vts Rack Tight Turning Wheel...

Stu

Hi all,

Just finished installing the VTS rack on my 205 and even with the car up on stands with the engine running the rack feel stiff through its range of movement - i'd have thought it'd have been mega light?

Cant see anything obvious, no leaks or anything obviously catching, anyone got any ideas?

Paul_13

I wonder if the upper rack is binding together.

Undo the four 11mm nuts that hold the rack up and push it slightly away from you.

If everything is bunched up the upper rack will lock into place. I've had this whilst driving and scared the living s*it out of me

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

loosen the upper uj clamp and give the steering wheel a tug upwards.

dobboy

Could the lower UJ be fouling/rubbing on the bulkhead grommet?

Stu

I had a quick look last night and it looks like the UJ is too high up in the boot and catching the grommet in the shell; you can see where its worn a clean ring in the overspray :P

IMAG0020_zpsmrlsqody.jpg

Looks like jiggling the column up inside the car, the UJ down and seeing if it'll clear, though i suspect it might be the usual tale of stacking of tolerances and being too tight... Might need to make the hybrid version as per Tom Fenton's thread...

dobboy

I'd try persuading the UJ fixing as low as it can go with the in car stuff slackened off. You only need a tiny bit of clearance. Worked for me. Bit of silicon grease or vaceline on the grommet too.

dobboy

Looked at your pic again, i removed the boot on mine, although i now have clearance lock to lock, the clearance is minimal.

(I think Anthony said the later UJ's never had the boot.)

Think there may also be two different shaped bulkhead grommets too, and one fits better than the other when adding a VTS rack.

Stu

ahh bugger.. Are the grommets visually different? That was a right swine to fit, even with the rack out, i really hope i havent got to attempt swapping it out with the rack in situ...

Fingers crossed the loosen and jiggle method works :P

dobboy

Not sure, bit i'm sure i checked SB and the grommets are different for PAS and non-PAS cars.

Mines is a Non--PAS, never used the boot (cut it off) and i have clearance.

Maybe someone else can advise better, but i'd cut the boot off first if it was me.

Have a search for my VTS rack change thread from a few months ago, it maybe help.

Stu

Right. I couldn't make this work the fabled non-pas 205 square drive UJ; the length of the lower half just pushed the joint too close to the bulkhead grommet and it fouled, loading the steering up.

So, following Tom's idea, i built a hybrid. For clarity, shown below is the difference in height of a stock 205 square drive UJ (left) and the Xsara item on the right (mated to the the 205 upper half).

IMAG0029_zpswrlwdzuq.jpg

It fits great, doesn't foul and works perfectly.

Edited by Stu

Ams

Handy pic cheers, my recently installed Phase 2 VTS rack catches the grommet through the 11-1 range. I better get this done. :mellow:

Stu

Yeah that's exactly what I had mate, with the P2 rack bizarrely as well, I've heard that the grommets can be different too but not investigated to be honest! Well worth the time and effort, its as sweet as a nut now.

Ams

Yeah it's very annoying, practically every steering/suspension component is new on my car as I'm very keen on steering feel. I'm not enjoying the driving experience with the binding issue. <_<

Problem is I'm not sure what particular lower column I should buy for dismantling and matching to the 205 square drive column, I'm hoping someone can please advise on the following! Should I buy:

• Any model of Peugeot 306 column?
  • Any model of Xsara column?

Or is it model specific?

Cheers.

Tom Fenton

As far as I know all 306 and Xsara use the same lower column, so any will do.

You can forward my royalties fee of £5 on at a later date !!!!!!!!!!

Ams

Appreciate the info Tom, in fact if you (or anyone!) have one ready made/make one I'll definitely buy it. I can even send down my square drive as an exchange, lob a fiver on top as a royalty payment? :D

Bakes100

Stu / Tom,

What is involved in swapping the column parts over? Is it a case of knocking one of the pins through, refitting the replacement lower column & refitting the pin?

It may be the sort of answer that obvious if the parts were sitting in front of me!

Thanks

Stuart