• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Front Springs Loose

notamondayfan

Hello!

Bit of a strange one this. I have had the front suspension off, changed the rubbers and the bearings as they were knackered, and now I'm re-fitting the suspension and the springs are loose.

I'm 99.9% sure I've got everything in the right order, as per Haynes and on-line searches. When I fit them, the cap and bearing don't sit together, and will fall to one side, or the end of one of the springs doesn't sit right, and would come out of position, not really safe!

The suspension is Gaz, damper adjustable, bought from a group buy on here, but I don't know their exact spec. The springs are lowered too.

It's happening on both sides, so I don't think anything is broken or worn which could cause this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

When I'm next in the garage I'll take a picture, and show the order which they're built to confirm.

Thanks,

Dean

Anthony

Picture will help, as the spring certainly shouldn't be loose assuming it's a non-coilover type that uses a regular type spring.

notamondayfan

Yea non-coilover, standard set-up apart from the spring and damper.

jackherer

Are they definitely 205 springs? Looking from above the coil should start at 12 o'clock and end at 6 o'clock.

The only time I've ever seen something like what you describe is when someone had fitted incorrect springs, the coils started and ended at the same position so they had half a turn extra (or less, depending on your point of view...) of coil.

notamondayfan

Right, life's been manic, so only got around to this!

I've taken pics...

Strut assembled (see how the bearing is loose, and there is no compression from the spring) -

IMAG0418_1000.jpg

Strut "exploded" in the order it was built , is this correct? -

IMAG0421_1000.jpg

and finally a shot of the spring -

IMAG0422_1000.jpg

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Cheers,

Dean

welshpug

that's a VERY short spring, not surprised it dislocates! though the ends are shaped correctly, its almost as if whoever made them forgot a coil or three!

Anthony

At a glance those springs look very short - what's the total length of it uncompressed?

Most 205 lowering springs are around 280-320mm long but that looks quite a bit shorter than that.

They don't look to have been cut down judging from the way the ends are formed, so my best guess is that they're for short-stroke dampers for some description.

j_turnell

They do look very short, but i didn't notice the thick washer that goes on the insert first. Is this sat on top of your bumpstop in the picture?

welshpug

didnt notice that, with that spacer it'll be even worse.!

notamondayfan

Right, the springs are 200 mm max. They haven't been cut as the top and bottom both angle to flat, and I'm 99% sure these are the springs which came with the struts.

There's no washer / spacer on the bump stop. I've built these as per the attachment. Am I missing a part? Both suspension is the same by the way.

post-4976-0-07307600-1429302737.png

pugdamo

Did you fit them originally or is this the first time you've had the suspension unloaded?Could be you're only now noticing how loose the springs are? They look properly assembled but those springs as said look way to short. With the weight on them they will be OK but if it was me if be getting some different springs.

notamondayfan

I did fit them originally, but we're talking over 5 years ago. I felt the front end wasn't right, hence why I took them apart and changed the bearings and rubbers.

I think taller springs is the most logical thing to do, as even if I fit them as is, as soon as the cars jacked up the spring dislocates and doesn't always sit back into the right place. I'm guessing it would probably be an mot failure too.

So does anyone have any standard height springs for sale or swap for some short ones!? :-)

Cheers,

Dean