• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nomis

Drain Holes - Where Are They?

nomis

I've got a couple of leaks coming into the car and want to check the drain holes to make sure they are clear.

Can any helpful soul explain exactly where they all are, what they should look like, and how to clear them, please?

My two leaks are:

A rear quarter seal. It has shrunk and then been fixed up by previous owner with some sealant. It's not bad but occasionally I get quite a bit of water under the back seat.

An unidentified cause that means the driver's side front door pocket gets a pool of water in it after heavy rain. Not sure where this is coming from as I thought door rubbers were ok.

I read something about sills and panels rusting from the inside out and so want to check all the drain holes.

I know there are meant to be some on the rears sills, are there also some on the front doors? Any others?

Are they circular holes?

Thanks

mrfirepro

There are drain holes for the cills are at the top of this picture on the down stand seam between the floorpan and the cill, I used an old feeler gauge to make sure they are not blocked, but this would only drain the cill (I know it no the question you asked but it is a drain point)

P1030690_666x500.jpg

I would also check the sunroof drain pipes, there are 4 from the sunroof. The two front ones exit behind the front wings and will run out of the bottom of the wing. The rear ones exit between the bumper and rear wheel arch.

some photos may help

front sunroof drain

P1010644_666x500.jpg

rear exit (pipe next to towing eye)

P1010625_666x500.jpg

front exit pipe

P1010939_666x500.jpg

I would be looking for the cause as to why the water is getting in as once it's in the car there are no drains.

Main areas as you've mentioned is window seals, however if your pockets are filling up I would also check the 2 door drains which are at the bottom of the door.

ATK

Door pocket is water coming in from behind the door card I bet - take door card off and seal up all the door frame holes with plastic membrane or sheeting. Also seal up elec window wiring hole. Had the exact same issue.

Plus check door drains as Paul says.

If water under back seat check boot and rear quarter badges too.

ATK

Pics on my project thread of what I mean about the doors

nomis

Thanks guys, will check those areas.

In terms if the sill drains are they circular holes or flat and thin gaps? I think on that top picture I can see a gap on the top sill line towards the rear.

In terms if the pipes any thoughts on how to check them? Is it just a case of finding the drain holes and making sure they aren't blocked from the outside.

Do those pipes pictured correspond to a drain hole on the outside of the car?

Will check that door too and your thread ATK.

Appreciate the help as am pretty clueless on this.

The car lives outside in the road, so I need to try and crack this. Or buy a car cover!

Edited by nomis

ATK

Know the feeling, mine lives outside and I've had every imaginable leak!

When my sunroof drains were broke my headlining was soaking.

With the pipes, use a bicycle brake cable or something and run it through or use compressed air.

Everything is fixable, just takes time and a bit of care sourcing where the leak is actually coming in. Mine leaked everywhere but is now dry throughout. very frustrating though!

ATK

Here's what I mean about the doors

IMAG1103.jpg

nomis

Thanks that is really helpful. Sealing those bits up looks a wise move. Good tip with the bike brake cable wire.

I'd love a garage but my London council wants £1,013 a year for one.

nomis

Where are the drain holes at the bottom of the door?

I've just discovered that I have a rusty driver's side door. Not spotted it before but rust is starting to bubble through paint and a look under the door shows a line running along the bottom of the door rim.

It's suspicious that this is the same door that the door pocket was filling up with water.

I can't see any drain holes in the bottom of the door though.

aldworth33

The ones on the doors are in the bottom corners the inside channel that leads to them get bunged with crap. Mine is exactly the same

nomis

Thanks for that. Really helpful.