• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

Servo (New)

erbs

the one on my pug is looking in a very poor state but still works, its just the severe rust that concerned me

anyways i got a brand new bendix servo to put in and would i notice any improvement on the braking system as a whole?

i mean although the old was working would a new servo make any difference?

replacing just for safety reasons and asking if would make the brakes more efficient?

dcc

depending on if the old item failed or if it was working as intended, just looking tatty :)

• Like 1

rallyeash

Probably not. Unless you fitted a gti one on a base model.

erbs

i was thinking how they must degrade over the years, mine is over 30 years old so a new servo being a bit more supple inside like the diaphragm for instance

Slo

Inside is or should be a sealed area so in effect should be as good as new inside. Only the rubber seal to perish or rust to eat into the shell, brake master cylinders are something different as these take all the push/pull abuse.

Having said that my original one was looking like a terrys chocolate orange it was so rusty and I wanted piece of mind too so I swapped it for a wide flat one (saxo one i was told) made no difference to braking whatsoever though just same as before

cheesegrater

Was the saxo servo a direct fi? Does it allow for greater clearance on the engine?

Slo

If i hadnt of fitted it there's no way I would have been able to get the turbo engine to fit. I have no idea if the saxo is same fitment but the whole servo and pedal thing bolted straight in.

erbs

well i was right to replace the servo as the old one was really rusty on the underneath and did not fancy it popping on me

it has made a massive difference as the new one has more of a responsive feel and plus fitting new calipers the car stops on sixpence now

all the braking system has been replaced from the pipes,front calipers and the rears has been replaced along with new shoes and pads servo and master cylinder, it now gives me the confidence that the car is going to stop properly.

i see all the used stuff on the bay and would never buy old mc's or servos, braking has got to be up there with top priority to be right.