• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Best Front Struts For Road & Track

Alan_M

The time is getting close to pulling my 205 out the garage and starting it's overhaul. One dilemma I have is what suspension to fit. At the moment, it is a stripped out and caged Mi16. It was going to stay this way till I swayed and would like to use it on the road as well as track (my son has seen photos from the road-trips over the years and wants to go on one!).

With the initial plan, I bought two sets of PTS Bilstein front struts (forest spec and tarmac spec). Now, as the car is going to be more of a SuperSport type car I can't help but think I would need some adjustability on the damping to have the best of both worlds. I'm concerned the PTS tarmac stuff will be great for the track but far too much on the road.

This is my dilemma, stay with the PTS Bilsteins or go with Gaz adjustables/AST (or similar).

Are the PTS Bilstein tarmacs 'that' stiff? Are they even that suited to track work? Previous threads suggest issues with ride height, as the struts are primarily designed for rally cars, not circuit cars.

welshpug

pts stuff is rally so quite soft compared to circuit stuff.

you could always ask ast or similar to make an adjustable insert for your bilstein legs.

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

You might be waiting a while though lol Even though they are better than they used to be I still take a fair bit of my business elsewhere for custom dampers.