• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Melted Wire On Fuse Box

Telf

Hi all,

Had a bit of a drama earlier! I was driving along a unlit country road this evening when my lights failed. I pulled over and after some investigation noticed that if I released and locked the fuse box the lights came back on.

I found this plug on the fuse tray burnt - does anybody know what it powers apart from the lights?

I think the wires to the 2 plugs in front (as you look at it) had been putting pressure on the contact causing it to vibrate and arc-having untangled them all it does sit a lot better. If there had been excess current being drawn then I would have expected a fuse to blow but this hasn't happened.

Any help would be great!

P

post-21474-0-97471300-1420488212_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-84532900-1420488213_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-12101600-1420488229_thumb.jpg

jackherer

What headlight bulbs do you have fitted?

Every time I have seen this in a 205 it was because higher wattage bulbs were fitted without using relays.

I knew it was going to be the headlights as soon as I read the title...

• Like 1

Telf

Hi jack,

I have no idea what bulbs are fitted - I don't think I've had to replace them since I bought the car.

I don't know where im going to get a new plug without visiting the scrap either. Is the red wire the supply from the battery- I'm presuming so because of the thickness?

Cheers Paul

welshpug

no, the main live feed is the two brown wires.

Anthony

The two thick brown wires you can see on the left of the picture is the incoming constant feed from the battery.

I think that I've still got a butchered interior loom in the loft somewhere so if you get stuck I'm happy to send you the yellow plug if you can't source one. I think they're all mostly still available new from Peugeot/Citroen though (part numbers in someone's signature - Ryan maybe?) but not sure on minimum order quantities.

jackherer

I've probably got a spare plug on an old loom and I've got some new terminals and a proper crimp tool too so you're welcome to pop over as you're local.

You need to find the cause too, I'd definitely check the bulbs, this happened to my friends 205 and he'd owned it for a while before there was a problem caused by bulbs fitted by the previous owner that he knew nothing about.

Telf

Ok,

so I've took the plug out- the plastic was ruined around the terminal, the actual spade tag was completely loose rattling around the connection.

It looks like its been making contact with the blue wire next to it.

As I need the car working until the weekend I've insulated the suspect wire and squeezed the spade tag back together so it fits properly then refitted the rest of the plug.

The lights are working and manipulating the wire no longer causes them to turn off.

Jackherer I will definitely drop round if that's ok- would you be free at the weekend?

The repair shouldn'tt be a problem I'm a avionic technician by trade - possibly the worse example of my work ever in that picture but no resources to fix it at 7pm on a rainy Tuesday night

thanks all

Paul

post-21474-0-84491000-1420571919.jpg

jackherer

I'll probably be here, I'll PM you my details.

• Like 1

Telf

Just like to say thanks to Jackherer -

1 for being completely correct- I did have a massively overwatted bulb 90/130W !

2 for giving me a plug

3 for leading me the tool to fix it

Cheers very muchly!

paul

• Like 1

jackherer

No problem, thanks for the beer :lol:

Tom Fenton

Nice one guys, that's what the forum should be about.

• Like 1