• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SimonJ

Negative Camber Options

SimonJ

For the new season I'm considering negative camber on the front. I bought eccentric top mounts before but gave up getting them to fit and have now narrowed down the options to the Baker adjustable top mounts (I have the correct length Bilstiens) or the Bridgecraft machined and sleeved hubs. Any have experience of either of these or comments on the advantages or disadvantages of either? For example, I guess there's no issue with shafts pulling out like with the 309 wishbone setup?

Miles

I have run the Hub option for the whole of last season and the idea is very old as I had the same thing on my 309 15+ years ago, Nice thing about it is there is nothing to go wrong or wear out so to speak unlike Rose Joints, I top mounts I would be looking at Caster more than Camber, No idea if the BBM ones have that adjustment.

SimonJ

The Baker ones do have the caster adjustment but I don't have much opportunity for testing so would worry about losing time from making the handling worse or at least spending too long getting used to the new (turn-in?) characteristics.

rallyeash

Bridge craft hubs are good! I've got a set sat here in my office.

rallyeash

Can be for sale if you wish....

Hollow hubs, Brand new wheel bearings, machines and sleeved for additional camber, track rod hole drilled to a parallel 16mm and rose joint setup.

Will require bump steer setup

hubs_zps30477c38.jpg

IMG_0077_zpscb47d0d5.jpg

johnnyboy666

Sorry for the slight hijack, but what did your hollow hubs come off? Haven't seen those before, I assumed they were all solid

SimonJ

Thanks Ash - I would think about yours if they didn't need the bump steer setup. My car isn't lowered much partly to keep the arm angle and there isn't much adjustment downwards with the billies anyway.

allanallen

Best bolt on soloution in my eyes is to sort the top mounts you already have and fit them to give max caster, then have your hubs modded to give the camber you require.

You then have the option of fine tuning the camber with your top mounts whilst still retaining much needed added caster.

As well as modding the hubs I'm happy to sort the fittment of the top mounts you're struggling with.

SimonJ

Thanks Alllan - I took some pics at the time but don't know if they tell you enough to disgnose the problem. I'll add them when I get home this evening.

SimonJ

Having trouble adding pictures so I'll just PM you the link to my flickr account - the pictures I took are the first four but they probably don't give enough info. Can we leave it that I'll post you my hubs in a week or two to get 2 deg camber added and add or send better pics of the top mounts and struts in the meantime to see if it's worthwhile sending the whole lot to you to sort? I know postage won't be cheap but when you take into account faffing around finding someone else to sort it and the time off work to take them there it's not such a big deal..

jimmi

Simon ... you using adjustable or fixed platform ( UK Challenge spec) Bilstein struts ?

SimonJ

Adjustable platform Jim.

Goliath

The Baker ones do have the caster adjustment but I don't have much opportunity for testing so would worry about losing time from making the handling worse or at least spending too long getting used to the new (turn-in?) characteristics.

Bakers old design as seen here: http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=adjtopmounts do have caster adjustment, their new design as seen here: http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=205adjtopmounts has caster fixed at 4.5 degrees.

I've just had a set of the new design delivered but have yet to fit them.

Edited by Goliath