• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

Heater Dial Tooth Mechanism

cRaig

After refurbing my heater box, and swapping over to what (I thought) was a good dial mechanism/backplate, I've now discovered when I try to go from recirc to fresh air with the fan speed dial, the mechanism makes a horrible crunching noise, and then pops out.

Is it possible to swap the mechanism parts from one backplate to another? as I think the one I have is specific to the a/c spec, and therefore difficult to replace. Or has someone come up with a better solution? I don't think the problem is that my flap is too stiff (oooh err!) as it was fine when the box was going back together. Again, think the cable is fine, just a bit miffed now its all back together its stopped working!

Anyone else had a similar problem and solved it?

Did idly think it might be worth looking into 3d printing or machining the toothed parts in something more hardwearing..?

farmer

When my back plate played up, I changed the cog piece over from a spare unit I had.

One screw and it was swapped over

Servicebox does list a different part number for air con circuit boards though.

They are sided to work on a specific side on the board as I found out to my cost.

Fitted wrong side and it just wouldn't work something similar to your troubles.

cRaig

Cool, I'll try swapping the cog over, and will see how I get on. Thanks for that

2-Pugs

The problem is that the aircon and non-aircon backing plates are different, as you have found out, and the gear pieces are different. On non-aircon, you have from the top of the dial all the way down the left side to the bottom (sort of '7' position on a clock face) to move the flap from open to closed. So you have plenty of mechanical advantage with which to move a sticky flap, so to speak. On the aircon system, the system changes from fresh air to recirc mode in a very short gap at the top of the dial, so its essentially doing exactly the same thing, just over a much shorter distance, so the force required is much higher and the gear slipping you describe occurs readily.

It's a problem on every single one I've ever seen, and as of yet I have never really satisfactorily cured any I have owned, partly due to the inaccessibility of the bits when fitted in the car. All I can suggest is to examine the linkage carefully and lubricate and ensure there are no sticky joins, and do this before you fit the heater box, if possible.

• Like 1

cRaig

Thanks for the reply Rob. I am fortunate that I spotted this problem after refitting the dash box, but before refitting the dash, so can still easily remove the dial back plate to inspect. I will have a look at it, and see if it can be improved/repaired in any way. As you say, finding more aircon backplates is no easy task, so a more long term fix may be preferable!