• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Clamp Around Rear Beam Cross Tube?

205Rallee

Can anyone tell me what purpose the clamp around the middle of the cross tube and the bracket that bolts up to the shell in the exhaust tunnel serves? Is it something to do with the original seat belt mounts?

205Rallee

Any ideas?

Ryan

The Haynes manual says its for the seat belts, but I can't really see how as it's not bolted to any of the belt mounts. 309s and base model 205s don't have one at all.

Daviewonder

It's a tank strap for the fuel tank. Not really needed.

Tom Fenton

I've heard a few theories over the years, I don't think anyone really knows. On my green car I put it back for the sake of originality, but on all the others if the beam has come off the car, the strap has come off and stayed off.

205Rallee

I couldn't work out what it does with the fuel tank as it's not connected in any way. I could only see it sort of "helping" the floor where the seat belts mount by possibly sending some of the load to the rear beam in the event of an accident. My original seat belts went 20 years ago so the clamp etc will stay off when the beam goes back in.

Thanks for the replies :)

Miles

It's a odd one to say the least, If it does hold the tank in this car never had one and the tank was there abit slightly squashed

180854_1284899499012_1725882783_523287_4

Henry Yorke

My Alfa 155 had some similar straps which went under the tank, but not to the rear beam. I assume this was there for in case of an accident (but was also used to mount a rear undertray on certain models)

post-3457-0-30219800-1420034640_thumb.jpg