• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
artois7

Opinons On This Rear Beam..

artois7

Hi all,

Took off my 1.6 rear beam yesterday. It looked awfully rusty and covered in crap on the car and I bought a 309 gti rear beam to go on (I wanted the wider rear.)

Anyway took it off, and a very quick wipe over with some engine degreased and a rag (so not much effort put in..) and I found this:

rearbeam_zpsaf45ca55.jpg

Obviously I haven't spent any time cleaning it up, and on the anti roll bars I only wiped off a small section to see the colour.

To my untrained eye, this looks as if someone has rebuilt this rear beam with a new tube at some point in the past, or do you think it's possible this is still the same beam from 1987 and somehow the Peugeot colours have preserved quite well? (assuming these are the Peugeot colours...)

It moves freely and had no noise when on the car.

Edited by artois7

Anthony

Usually underneath all the grime the beams are quite clean, so doesn't mean anything unfortunately.

Hell, plenty have been painted up to look like they're brand new and the insides untouched and fit only for scrap such are some people's odd priorities...

Rams_gti6

Try take it to bits, if it comes fairly easy then it might not have been long since a rebuild.