• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Seblos

Changing Instrument Panel Lights

Seblos

I just bought my 205 CTI and the light behind the speedometer isn't working so of course I want to change it.
Problem is that I don't know how to get the dashboard off without breaking anything. I've searched the forums but haven't found a detailed description about how it is mounted.

So if anyone have any pictures or could describe it well it'd be appreciated!

mrfirepro

Sebbe,

First remove the three heater knobs, then then undo the two screws that hold the heater cover on and remove, behind which are two screws that need to be removed, then you need to remove the triangle cover central air vents (air vents not essential but I think it helps) and the coin tray, under which are three(??) screws that need to be removed. Next there is a screw in the side of the binnacle cover (near air vent) with all three screws removed you should be able to remove the cover. Do not be tempted to lift it upwards (there are two pins on the back that are easily broken) pull the cover towards you by grabbing the top of the cover above the clocks (dont be tempted to pull anywhere else) when sat in the drivers seat as there is a captive clip at the back of the cover.

The weakest point of the cover is just near where the triangle cover was removed, dont be tempted to put any force anywhere except the main cover.

Once the cover is removed the clocks are held in with some screws, remove these pull the clocks slightly forward and upwards (there are two pins that locate in two holes with rubber grommets) remove the electrical connections and your done.

Good luck

I would also try and do this somewhere warm so the plastic isn't so brittle.

Edited by mrfirepro

Seblos

Thanks a lot! The cover is off and the dials are pulled out. The problem now is that the speedocable wont come off. Is it just to pull a little bit harder or is there some other technique needed? Barely have any space to manouver as the cable is quite short.

Seblos

Thanks a lot! The cover is off and the dials are pulled out. The problem now is that the speedocable wont come off. Is it just to pull a little bit harder or is there some other technique needed? Barely have any space to manouver as the cable is quite short.

mrfirepro

Speedo cable is clipped in, you have to squeeze the lugs together to remove, perhaps use some long snipe nosed pliers may help.

you could also release the cable at the other end in the speedo drive unit at the rear of the gear box.

Edited by mrfirepro

jackherer

The Haynes manual covers this surprisingly well so it's worth getting a copy if you don't have one already.

Although of course it is for right hand drive cars which might not be quite right for you in Sweden! And also the same is true for Paul's answers above :)

Seblos

Great, thanks. I take it you mean the clips are at the far end of the plastic thing (in my case yellow) the lugs are. Will try and pinch a little there.

I have been searching for the Haynes manual but as you said I live in Sweden and though I don't think it matters too much that it's left hand drive, it is very difficult to get hold of the book here. Only way I've found a way to buy it is via ebay or amazon and shipping to Sweden costs about twice as much as the book.

When I'm putting it all together I plan to take pictures of each step showing where all the screws are and putting together a guide and posting it here on the forum.

Seblos

Thanks for all your help!
There were seven broken lights in the dash so changed them all and now it lights up like a christmas tree!

Will start work on a guide to show all those hidden screws with pictures soon.