• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy_C

Caliper Bolts

Andy_C

Any tips on getting these effing things off?

I'm trying to remove the calipers for repainting etc. but can't shift the 19mm bolts holding the caliper to the hub. Worried about rounding the bolt and so on.

Lost my rag with it all on Saturday morning having tried spanner, socket, spanner + hammer (gently) so before ordering £100+ of impact driver, anybody got any bright ideas?

TIA

welshpug

six sided socket and a big bar.

Andy_C

Thanks mate! Will give that a try.

Tom Fenton

Are they off the car? If so you will struggle without a gun. However if they ARE off the car, take them to your nearest fast fit/tyre place and give them a few quid for the tea fund for them to whizz them off for you.

Andy_C

Still attached Tom. Struggling to justify a gun as although very very useful I can't see myself using one enough to shell out, what, £100 for a cordless one.

Mind you, I haven't got a breaker bar either lol.

chipstick

1/2" ratchet, impact socket and a weetabix.

If you don't care too much for your ratchet you could slide a tube over it and add some leverage.

Halfords do a 2 foot long breaker bar for £27.99. Worth investing in. If you know someone with a trade card, you should save several pounds off that too.

Andy_C

Got the ratchet and socket but even 2 lads fuelled by bacon couldn't shift it - and I block out a bit of sun so not lacking in the bulk department.

I have a trade card so breaker bar it is - thanks!

dcc

mmm Bacon!

Bet I could shift it!

• Like 1

farmer

You sound very muscular DCC.

A real mans man.

dcc

It is quite simple GCSE maths / Physics ;)

Tom Fenton

I can't say I have ever really struggled with these, yes they can be tight but you have a nice big 19mm hex to get hold of.

Compared to some VAG stuff which uses a bolt on the rear calipers with a stupidly shallow headed torx bit, those can and are an absolute git to get undone as you are constantly worried about rounding the torx out of them.

mrfirepro

Andy,

If you can wait until I'm next around I'll bring my impact gun to see if that does the trick.

Will be at Frimley again this week some time.

Andy_C

Appreciate the offer Paul. I'm going with the big f*+k off breaker bar option for now :D

dcc

When I find tigh bolts I tend to use a 2inch dia. 3 ft. long scaf pole :)

• Like 1

damo

well ive got all my ones off and those were rusted solid!!

Just use pug gas or wd40 even few days keeping hem wet!! then a 17 impact socket from memory and a bar, i used only a 14 inch one. Give it some as they will just crack and go!! sounds like you snap the bar but I guess its the thread lock on the bolts.

Con