• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Soggy Feet

Phil205

Hi,

I noticed that the carpets in the rear footwells are absolutely soaking wet.

I have had problems in the past with water getting in to the rear of the car (and it need a new hatch as that is very corroded).

The rear seats seem quite dry.

There are no obvious leaks inside and I don't get wet when it rains !

Where is the water most likely getting in ?

Anthony

Rear quarter window seals leaking because they've shrunk or sills with blocked drains being full of water are two common ones.

If you've a known leak into the boot, that can run down into the rear footwells too.

Is underneath the rear seat bases also soaked?

dcc

rear quarter window seals. take them out, hot water, *gently* stretch the rubber by hand. you might need to do it a few times to get them to stretch a marginal amount - but it works.

• Like 1

Phil205

One of the rear quarter sills has a bit of a gap. I will have a look at the weekend.

I had the sills welded just recently for an MOT. I guess they could have welded the drain points ?

Anthony

Usually you can hear the tale-tale sloshing around of water as you brake and accelerate if there's water trapped in the sill.

DanteICE

Best way to get water out of the sills? Where does the water get in?

hoodygoodwood

If you have a sunroof the drain tubes could be blocked or leaking into the car , the 2 rear drains run down inside the 'C' posts .

Water that leaks into the boot can run forward and it gathers in the depression under the rear seats .

ATK

I cant actually find any sill drain holes at all aside from the round holes in the arches. One side of the car definately hasnt been welded (other side has so might expect not to see drain holes there anymore) but I still cant find these drainholes in the untouched sill?

mrfirepro

Alex,

You can see the four drain holes along the bottom of the sill in this picture.

P1030760_666x500.jpg

P1030716_666x500.jpg

commievid

Would confer that it could be the rear quarter window seals or the sunroof rear drains.

The only sure fire way to check either is to remove the interior trim with the rear ashtrays, or the headlining.

Although another possible way is to park the car facing downwards on a slope. After a heavy rainpour, if the front corner headlining is also wet, that would suggest the sunroof drains, as they have a way of trickling water across the whole headlining.

Perhaps you could also lift the rear seats and hose the windows and keep checking whether water appears. Those rear quarter seals always shrink and new replacements appear to be the holy grail nowadays. My suggested bodge is butyl tape on the existing seals.

Phil205

What are 'C' posts ? Are they the front posts either side of the windscreen ?

Anthony

A pillars are the ones either side of the windscreen, B pillars behind the doors, and C pillars between rear quarter windows and tailgate.

Phil205

Thanks all,

How can I test/unblock the drain(s) from the sunroof ?

I will get the sill drain holes checked today.

I will see if I can do anything with the rear quarter seals, I don't think the water is getting in there, even though there is a small gap.

DanteICE

Soooo, how/where does water get into the sill?

welshpug

rear quarter panel drains.

Phil205

DanteICE

Rear quarter panel drains? Do you mean behind the internal rear quarter panel (the one with the ash trays)? Why should water get into here?

Geoff

welshpug

condensation, quarter window leaks, submersion :D

DanteICE

Right ok, brilliant, that explains why my sill is full of water then....god damn rear quarter window seals!!! (Also GREAT sill drain hole images, cheers for those, defo need to unblock those too.)

ATK

Hmm, think a couple of my drain holes on one side have been welded/mashed shut by poor jacking in the past etc. Any solution? Drilling a hole would only start it rusting really badly I assume.

Phil205

Can I just pour some water round the sunroof and see if I get a puddle by the rear wheels ?

mrfirepro

Can I just pour some water round the sunroof and see if I get a puddle by the rear wheels ?

Perhaps you could take a litre of water, run it through the pipes, collect it at the outlet, circulate it a few times and see if you get any loss. The rears are quite easy as you can see the end of the pipe, the front ones exit behind the front wings, so you'll have to collect the water as it comes out between the wing and cill.

I you want some photos just let me know.

DanteICE

Food colouring in the water, that way it's totally obvious, but take out the carpets first, otherwise it might spoil them.