• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Robbiedundy

Base Model With 1.6 Gti Beam, Help Please?

Robbiedundy

Hey, so I've bought a straight diesel and its been laying for a couple years so I'm prepping it for a MOT, the seller mentioned the rear axle had been changed. The rear brakes weren't working so I removed the hub nut and drum to reveal 1 GTi brake shoe and 3 base model ones, it was clear then that he'd replaced the axle with a 1.6 GTi one and ordered base model brake shoes and tried to fit them.. he's also replaced one of the brake cylinders, it has a 12mm fitting into the back of the cylinder whereas the other one has a smaller one (10mm?) I've got a spare 1.6 GTi axle so I've taken the bits out of it but one of the cylinders is seized. Am I correct in saying I've got two 1.6 GTi axles and to order bits for a 1.6? I'll need to order a new connection to replace the 12mm one, is it just a case of cutting it off and putting a new one on? I've never done brake pipes before. Will I need anything else to make the brakes work?

I've also got a set of spare 1.6 GTi calipers and discs I can put on the Derv are they a straight swap, will anything else need to be replaced for them to work also?

Cheers!

mikeyd

you probably need base model cylinders as they have an inbuilt compensator whereas the gti has a compensator in the brakeline fixed to the nearside wing

i think they may use different size fittings to prevent accidental fitting of different types on the same axle -that or you have different [bendix v girling ]cylinders