• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

New Trim Not Fitting

mrfirepro

I have fitted all new trim to my car and the last trims to fit were both rear quarter trims.

I have two new trims that were in unopened bags.

The problem is that no matter what I do I can't get the three front trim fixings (the ones that also hold the red trim in) to locate properly. As a sanity check I have two old trims and both fitted well (with ease)

It seems that the white trim fixings do not go far enough in (towards the car body), to locate on the rivet heads.

Looking at the trim off the car the fixings on the old trim are almost flush with the inside of the trim, where as the new trim has a gap of 2/3mm (so the white fixing is not flush with the inside of the trim)

Not sure if I have explained this well, but interested if anyone else had had any problems like this?

PS - Am using the OE trim clips from the fixing kit

farmer

I had this as well with my new trim.

A bit of patience and I got the job done.

Sometimes the clips are not great so I tried another one from a bag I had and it helped and had no issues so far about them popping of.

• Like 1

mrfirepro

Hi Farmer..

Have tried every clip I have from three separate boxes, I just can't push them far enough in to locate on the rivets, I can't push any more as the plastic trim is against the cars paintwork....

farmer

Paul

Have you tried to push from inside to get the rivet head far enough over the plastic ?

mrfirepro

No, good idea I'll give it a go now....Thx

mrfirepro

here are some photos taken tonight.

Both photos are taken from the inside of the trim with the fixing pushed against the opening from the outside with only enough pressure to keep then in place.

Firstly with the old trim (same on every hole on 4 different trims)

P1050387_666x500.jpg

now with the new trims (same on all 6 holes of the two new trims)

P1050378_666x500.jpg

The angle of the camera is slightly different on the second picture which makes it look a little worse.

The difference between the first picture where the two surfaces (inside trim & fixing) differ by less than a mm, where the second one the difference is more like 4 or 5 mm

farmer

Paul

I see what you're saying.

Mine was tricky but not as far out as that.

Am assuming the new trim must be slightly warped against old ?

MikeC

Perhaps try warming it up maybe in a hotpress or warm room overnight

Slo

have you used new rivets from the same kit or using the old original ones? The size has changed and they stick out more hence the narrower clips

mrfirepro

Slo,

I'm using new rivets, but the new trims (new old stock) are 1999.

The new rivets stick out enough to fix the old trims, but not the new trims.

So are there two different lengths of rivet? The clips and rivets are from the same kit,

the protruding length of my new rivets is 3.53mm from base (against the bodywork) to top of rivet.

anyone care to measure an old rivet for me?

Slo

Havent measured them but my new clips, metal and plastic, wont fit the old rivets but work fine with the new rivets in the kit (and old clips fit the old rivets fine as well). Hmm bit of an odd one if the new clips work with old trim but not new old stock trim, that is strange can you see the difference in the trim where the clips fit into it?

Daviewonder

Why have Peugeot felt the need to change these 30 years after they were first designed?

Slo

You tell me, probably a cheaper manufacturer, but the new design of metal clip is impossible to clip onto original old rivets and you can see its physically different.

Excuse the crudeness of this picture but you get the idea.

post-21076-0-45503400-1415464820_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slo

mrfirepro

have managed to get them changed for a set from 1990 and they fit fine,(except I've now got a broken fixing to deal with).

I found that even with the new rivets the new clips were a pig and I snapped 2/3 rivet trying to get them in, resorted to putting the clip on the rivet then riveting them in and it was a lot easier

Slo

Aye they are a right swine to push on, its even worse on new paint as the paint drags due to the effort used to fit em.

At least you can be sure they wont fall off anytime soon though, at least until they rot in a few years.

Edp

have managed to get them changed for a set from 1990 and they fit fine,(except I've now got a broken fixing to deal with).

I found that even with the new rivets the new clips were a pig and I snapped 2/3 rivet trying to get them in, resorted to putting the clip on the rivet then riveting them in and it was a lot easier

This was probably how they did it in the factory to get them so snug.