• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Back From Cadwell Means Only One Thing, Another Problem!

Rams_gti6

Just had a really good day at cadwell but sadly was slightly cut short due to clutch/gearbox issues again!

Right, car behaved well all morning then after the lunch break the gears decided they didn't want to be selected. Firstly I thought the car had eaten another box but sometimes the gears would select ok. Came in it check it over and found that I couldn't select reverse. It was almost as if the clutch wasn't engaging so wouldn't let me put it in gear, so I checked the cable and adjusted it to give me some more pedal travel. This worked I could then get gears again. I went out for a few more laps foolishly really knowing I has to drive it home! The problem reoccurred so checked the cable and noticed the 10mm lock nut half way down the thread so nipped it up again and re adjusted the cable. Car was fine so drove home but I've noticed that now, but only sometimes, it vibrates or judders when setting off at low rpm if revved it helps slightly.

Does this say the clutch is goosed even though it's only one track day old? Literally been driven for about 25 road miles, to cadwell, then round cadwell. Seems a short life.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

stu8v

Has the bearing fell off the clutch fork? or are the gearbox bushes worn out?

Tom Fenton

Engine to box bolts worked out.

Matt Holley

Could be one of the clutch plate springs broke and is floating around so every now and then it gets jammed and won't let the clutch disengage.

I've had this happen on a not very old clutch.

Rams_gti6

I'm thinking the bolts could have worked loose as I swapped the box and clutch not so long ago also had a problem with the starter dowel so they've been off a few times recently.

The clutch fork bearing is the black plastic thing? No it's still there just seems loose as does the cable.

dobboy

Did you use a tool/dildo type thing to centre up the clutch when fitting it?

The bearing is the thing with two wings that clip on to the fork shaft, inside the box, on a push type arangement.

What box is it you've got?

calvinhorse

Did you use a tool/dildo type thing to centre up the clutch when fitting it?

If you think about it that's never going to be the problem, if the clutch plate isn't in line you couldn't get the gearbox spline to pash through it and if you did manage to get it in when the plate is out of line, one push of the pedal would straighten it up.

I was thinking the same as Tom, gearbox bolts are coming undone

• Like 1

dcc

HA! Dildo!

• Like 1

dobboy

HA! Dildo!

ok... butt plug!

dobboy

If you think about it that's never going to be the problem, if the clutch plate isn't in line you couldn't get the gearbox spline to pash through it and if you did manage to get it in when the plate is out of line, one push of the pedal would straighten it up.

I was thinking the same as Tom, gearbox bolts are coming undone

Probably right, but doesn't seem a lot of miles for bolts to loosen off assuming they were tight to begin with.

Could it be something to do with the linkage bars needing adjusted? when i popped mines twice a couple of weeks ago, the first time i was stuck with no gears, second time i was stuck in 2nd.

Tom Fenton

Probably right,

No probably about it.

Slo

Mine does this juddering when setting off too and has done for a long time, i've just put it down to it being a cheap clutch though. I swapped the gearbox in june and its still the same. All bolts have been torqued up with threadlock too so it can only be a s*itty clutch or pressure plate problem.

Edited by Slo

Rams_gti6

Just managed to get time to fiddle with the two o again. Fitted my new gear rods some group n items that have the most annoying clips in the world! Tightened up the subframe bush linkage and all seems better a lot more positive shifting anyway. Still has a vibration/juddering at low rpm when setting off. Anyone think this could be a warped flywheel from track abuse? Or is it a clutch plate issue?

Forgot to say checked the gearbox bolts and they're all nice and tight.

Rams_gti6

Just to add, when clutch pedal isn't pressed there's a rattling which would say release bearing, but it's nearly new! Soon as the pedal is pressed it goes.

welshpug

could be input shaft bearings.

welshpug

the noise that is, not likely to cause any other issues till they break down.

wicked

Just to add, when clutch pedal isn't pressed there's a rattling which would say release bearing, but it's nearly new! Soon as the pedal is pressed it goes.

Sounds like a worn bearing. Sure you used the right bearing?

There are also 2 different type of forks, to be used with the right (yellow/white) bushes; if you mix, it will push the bearing off centre and bearing will not last long.