• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Corsa B Power Steering

TT205

I was speaking to a guy last week who is way more knowledgeable than me who has built loads of cars

He currently has a Ford GT40 and is using a Corsa B (I think) power steering unit which has stripped all the splines where it joins the steering column - anyone come across this? and also does anyone know - if you are at full lock is the power steering still at full power trying to still turn the steering?

It was really dangerous - all of a sudden you could spin the steering wheel with no effect on turning the car :blink:

Cheers guys

Mad Scientist

I can't understand how this can happen. The upper part of the corsa b column is splined internally, but also welded. The lower output is square where it joins the uj. From there down, it's the cars lower column and steering rack.

They have an ecu which takes inputs from a torque sensor and position sensor, so when at full lock, or when not applying much force at the wheel, the assistance in reduced.

Mad Scientist

Been fitting mine this weekend. I think what might have happened is the upper column has slipped. It's a sleeved and internally splined outer tube over the inner. It's designed to slip and compress in an accident. If it's been knocked down you could lose the steering. I've welded mine now. Not as safe in an accident, but safer flat in 5th!

TT205

Really appreciate this Pete, I'll pass the message on

Cheers

Dave