• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Slow, Tipping Electric Windows.. Anyone Elses The Same?

Stu

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with my windows where the drivers side used to drop off the runners into the door, but they've always been slow, both sides.

The front of the window appears to drop as they are going up and with a bit of assistance they fly up, the mechanisms are relatively free from play, and work properly off the car.

There's not a great deal of adjustment in the runners/mechanism either, has anyone had this problem and adjusted it out or come up with a solution?

ALEX

The plastic guide will have broken off.

I refitted mine using a rivet.

I put a picture up once, it might be in my project thead.

Stu

The round plastic ball thing that attaches to the window mech? and goes in the channel on the window? they're all there :(

It doesnt tip a massive amount, maybe only 5-8mm or so, but its enough to slow it down :(

Am i just being picky?

allye

My 309 has this, a job I've been meaning to do for ages! Tips please

welshpug

mine don't do this and its not exactly a low miler, there has to be wear or a loose component for that to happen.

MikeC

try some silcone spray in the window channels.

Also when my passenger window was slow it was a bad connection where the power feed cable to the switch is wound together with another, was causing the cable to heat.

mrfirepro

also check the guides are in place and the bolts are not loose (one on end of door, other below and to the right of the speaker)

also check lower window retaining channel they can rust pretty badly (mine were terrible) there should be a rubber strip holding it in, on the bottom of this channel there are two runners, check these and make sure they are lubricated and that the plastic runners on the window mechanism are in good order.

If non of this worked I would be tempted to remove and check/test the mechanism and motor.

Stu

Thanks all, sadly ive done all of the above... Removed the mechanism lock stock from the car, the guide at the bottom of the window was cleaned of all the old grease and re-lubed, checked the plastic guides in the channels and they were all free. :(

There is a little bit of play in the 'cross arm' bit but nothing mega, i should say that its not slow all the way up its travel, it flies down no bother, but when going back up gets to halfway and then slows so im convinced its adjustment...

Just doesnt seem to be a great deal to adjust, the motor/reg is pretty fixed, and there is limited movement in the door channels but i think this might be the place to start...

mrfirepro

Stu,

Long shot I know, but could it be the switch being a bit dirty and not passing enough current when under load. I seem to remember someone on here had window problems which were made better by cleaning the switch.