• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Clapton_Is_God

Trailing Arm Outer Bearing Question

Clapton_Is_God

Hello All,

I've encountered a problem rebuilding my beam and I'm hoping someone here can help!

I've just replaced the inner and outer bearings on my rear beam with genuine Peugeot parts and I can't fit the offside trailing arm shaft into the outer bearing. The shafts have been reused so they're fine and I've measured their diameter at 47mm. I've measured the inner diameter of the bearing it's 0.5mm smaller than the shaft at 46.5mm. The bearing was quite tight going in but I believe it is undamaged, spins freely and fitted the correct way round. The bearings have the same part number and the other side goes in without any issue. I measured the bearing on the other side at 47mm, the same as the shaft.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Could it be a bad bearing or is there something obvious that I have missed?

Is it a bad idea to try some persuasion with a hammer? I'm reluctant to do so if it's likely to damage the shaft or worse.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

jord294

Have you fitted inner bearings to correct depth?

Clapton_Is_God

Hello Jord,

Hopefully I have at 20cm.

I'm pretty sure that it's catching on the outer bearing and the outer bearing internal diameter is definitely 0.5mm shorter than that of the shaft. Is that normal? The other side is the same size as the shaft and fits straight in.

I'm baffled!

Daviewonder

Have you burred over the bearing casing when pressing/knocking it into the tube?

Clapton_Is_God

It's possible but I don't think so, I was careful putting it in. I'll post a picture later.

It's occurred to me that the shaft that came out had a groove/slot cut into it in that location. It also has what looks like a brass sleeve fitted into that end of the beam, is that normal? The axle has been reconditioned in the past.

post-25004-0-51319000-1411887393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clapton_Is_God

jord294

looks like someone may have machined an oval tube and re sleeved, instead of using new or decent secondhand one

welshpug

Nothing wrong with that if done accurately, which may be the problem, need to check the bore but with the bearing already fitted you can't obviously.

Daviewonder

Is that gap at 10 o clock in the photo in the actual beam tube?

allanallen

How have you measured the inner diameter of the bearing?

Sounds like the repair bush is a bit small, you've done bloody well to get the bearing in undamaged though!

Edited by allanallen

Clapton_Is_God

That gap at 10 o' clock is a piece missing from the beam :-(

I've measured the inner diameter with some verniers. I did have a job getting it to fit so I think you may be correct in that the sleeve is too small.

I think I'm going to remove the bearing and measure the sleeve. Does anyone have a correct measurement for what the sleeve should be?

I take it forcing it in is a bad idea?

allanallen

Is the shaft tight on the needles or has the outside of the bearing closed up enough to touch the shaft?

I wouldn't force it either way.

Not sure what they measure but it'll only be a slight interference fit on the bearing, a thou or so down.

Clapton_Is_God

As far as I'm aware the shaft is catching on the outer part of the bearing, not on the needles.

It's the outer part that I have measured and its a different measurement depending on where I measure it.

Edited by Clapton_Is_God

Clapton_Is_God

Okay, so I've finally managed to get the bearing out and measured the sleeve at 52.44mm. I've read on the forum that the bearing is 53.17mm so the sleeve is al least 0.73mm too small.

Can anyone advise me on the best way forward? Is there a tool to bore it out slightly or would it be better / easier to get a new sleeve? Are they made in standard sizes or would I have to get something made?

Many thanks.

Tom Fenton

I've had a quick measure, std beam tube is around 52.9, bearing 53.1. I've no internal calipers to mic it up but it's about a 0.2 nip or 8 thou in old money.

If you can find someone with a horizontal borer then the tube can be repaired. But to be honest the cheaper and more straightforward solution is to source another beam tube.

allanallen

I rekon I could re-bore it for you but as Tom says it's probably gonna be cheaper to source another tube.

Clapton_Is_God

Oh dear, that's not good news, I've put a lot of time into it already :-(

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

mowflow

We'll done on not swearing.