• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Vts Ph2 Rack - Fitting Type Name

dobboy

My Xsara Ph2 rack arrived yesterday, (which has the push in type fittings.)

It's arrived with no pipework or fittings at all.

Does anyone know the correct terminology for these type of fittings? i.e. are they standard "X"mm "bla bla bla" fittings?

I'm trying to find out what (off the shelf fittings) i could use to blank the connections for the pipes off.

I was thinking as an option i could maybe drill them out, tap them, and put a short bolt in, but it would rule out any future PAS should i decide i need it.

TIA

dobboy

p.s. if anyone want to volunteer to sort this rack out for me so i can bolt it straight on, with new arms and ends which i'll provide, feel free to PM me a cost. I'll provide new arms and ends and organise couriers etc.

johnnyboy666

I tried to find this info but struggled. I resorted to getting a 4mm thick peice of aluminium sheet, shaped it to the shape of the outlets and drilled a hole in the centre. Bolted it down using the original bolt hole and bobs your teapot. Could probably pop a bit of suitable sealant in between if you feel it necessary but I haven't had any issues yet.

It also passed the MOT like it (with ram stoll attached)

I am glad I did it this way, so I can add PAS at some stage (when I find a suitable space to mount my pump)

johnnyboy666

Its easy peasy to change the inner rods and ends if the rack is off the car, you'll just need a bit of leverage to crack the old ones loose. A vice might be handy

dobboy

Thanks Johnny, is the holes only getting blocked to stop crap falling into them?

We use a sort of oil resistant putty that solidifies, (although can be removed later)

could that be plonked in the holes?

Do you have a pic of what you done?

and also, do you need to leave some fluid in?

TIA

johnnyboy666

Stops stuff getting in and any residual fluid coming out. I drained mine, but thrres still a bit in there that wouldn't come out. As far as I know its better to drain it, but I stand to be corrected! I'll try and get a photo if I remember.

You could put putty in I guess, but you'd have to be sure that it wouldn't go too far in and get stuck inside

welshpug

You don't want to blank the holes or steering will be somewhat difficult

johnnyboy666

How so? Other than lack of assistance of course

Tom Fenton

Potential to lock fluid in the ram!

johnnyboy666

Ah yes, thst makes sense, I guess mine isn't airtight so wouldn't have that problem. How is it normally done on ph1 racks? Or is it just left open?

dobboy

what's the options then to blank off push in type fittings?

I was gonna take the ram off on mines, the two little pipes serving it are present. Am i correct in saying a blank brake pipe fitting fits these?

johnnyboy666

I guess if you're removing the ram, you wont have the problem mentioned above?

Probably a good job the pump is getting put back on mine now I think about it!

dobboy

I guess if you're removing the ram, you wont have the problem mentioned above?

Probably a good job the pump is getting put back on mine now I think about it!

yeah, but i'll still need to blank them off.

BTW, how does your rack feel without PAS?

johnnyboy666

I did try and respond to this last night but managed to delete it! I'll try again:

It feels pretty bloody good to be honest, I'm not going to lie, it it pretty heavy, but nothing to the extent that some people make out. And I have 8j wheels on the front of my car.

The only reason I'll be fitting the pump, is because mines a daily, so sometimes i'm not in the mood to Hulk Hogan my way into a space in the car park at work (which is pretty tight at the best of times) I intend to fit a switch to turn the pump on for parking and leave it off for anything over 5mph

HOWEVER.... When I had 215/50/13 sticky track tyres on the front, it was EXTREMELY hard to park! But the responsiveness and feedback with that combination of awesome tyres and quick steering is unlike anything I've experienced in a 205 before. I would run that combo all day every day if I could afford £200 a month on tyres ;)

• Like 1

madspikes

I used a 307 PAS hoses to connect to the rack, then bent them into shape for the first 2' or so. Then got a local hose firm to mate them to the saxo pump connections.

Clive.

• Like 1

dobboy

I did try and respond to this last night but managed to delete it! I'll try again:

It feels pretty bloody good to be honest, I'm not going to lie, it it pretty heavy, but nothing to the extent that some people make out. And I have 8j wheels on the front of my car.

The only reason I'll be fitting the pump, is because mines a daily, so sometimes i'm not in the mood to Hulk Hogan my way into a space in the car park at work (which is pretty tight at the best of times) I intend to fit a switch to turn the pump on for parking and leave it off for anything over 5mph

HOWEVER.... When I had 215/50/13 sticky track tyres on the front, it was EXTREMELY hard to park! But the responsiveness and feedback with that combination of awesome tyres and quick steering is unlike anything I've experienced in a 205 before. I would run that combo all day every day if I could afford £200 a month on tyres ;)

Cheers Johnny, mines is probably best classed as just a toy, so i can handle the steering being heavy when it does get used.

You're not the first to tell me it's not as bad as made out, the guy i bought the rack off had it powered then took it off as he said it lost a lot of the "feel" lol

dobboy

Got my Ph2 xsara rack ready today.

Couple of Q's

When i removed the ram, i've left one of the fixings on the rack, a big brass coloured thing. Should that be saw'd off?

When removing the old arms i noticed they didnt have the sort of serated washer type things that were in the box for the new arms, i tried to fit them but there is a sort of slot that pretrudes from the washer that wouldnt fit the rack side, so i never fitted them, is that ok?

Tom205GTC

I also bought a VTS rack, to use in combination with a GTI-6 engine.

I was wondering what track rods to use, will standard 205 ones fit or do you need some other ones?

jackherer

205 ones screw straight in.

Rob Thomson

Where can you get track-rods from?

Peugeot have stopped doing them and my favourite factor (who are usually absolutely brilliant) couldn't find any...

Cheers, Rob.

welshpug

my local had them on the shelf.

johnnyboy666

failing that, there's plenty on ebay, i got some from there a while back and they seemed decent enough quality

Edited by johnnyboy666

jackherer

Where can you get track-rods from?

Peugeot have stopped doing them

It might be worth trying another dealer, they're not marked NFP.

Miles

Get them to order some 306 or Xsara ones, same thing 381750, But for half the price a TRW which is what the OE ones where on 306's ECP did do them