• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

How To Turn The Top Of The Gearstick Into A Threaded Bar

johnhenry

As the title says really

Interested in turning the gearstick into a threaded bar at the top, as the current knob is loose (still chuckles) and I would love a metal cool shifter - seen tonnes at shows but 99% are threaded

Could just cutting the top of the gearstick and welding on some threaded bar work fine?

has anyone done this?

Cheers

John

Tom Fenton

I would probably cut the top off then turn down and cut a new thread, but I have a lathe. If you weld something on it needs to be a very good weld or it will bust off. You will be suprised how much force you use when changing gear, plus fatigue is an issue over many many cycles.

allanallen

I ran a die down the top of one once, it looked a right bloody mess but it did work and hasn't ever come off.

If I had to do it again I'd weld a piece in, wouldn't do it any harm being a bit longer too I guess ;)

allanallen

I would probably cut the top off then turn down and cut a new thread, but I have a lathe. If you weld something on it needs to be a very good weld or it will bust off. You will be suprised how much force you use when changing gear, plus fatigue is an issue over many many cycles.

Will that POS lathe of yours cut a metric thread or would you have to use an old whitworth fire poker handle as a knob? :P

• Like 1

allye

I had a local engineering company length the top and bottom of one of mine and put a thread in the top for a quaife knob.

IMG_20120120_160327.jpg

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

a lot of the threaded aftermarket knobs come with a threaded adapter with a hole in the middle. Drill hole to just enough to fit over the stick tightly, blob of tigerseal on the adapter bit, pop it on, wait for it to dry then screw knob on.

That's how us commoners without lathes do it ;)

• Like 1

johnhenry

theres me looking at those adapters most of the afternoon on the 5 hr bus ride I've been on thinking how i could use them...COMPLETELY MISSED that really simple way.

Cheers all, got the solution for the lathe and the tiger seal solution now :D