• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmatthej1

Best Brake Upgrade For 1.8 Turbo Diesel ?

mmatthej1

Advice, please - my son's turbo diesel 1.8 STDT seems to provide indifferent braking performance (front discs/rear drums), so we're looking for an upgrade that would provide a worthwhile improvement but on a good ' bang for buck' basis!

Maybe replacement front calipers would be enough? Which ones best? (14" wheels, btw)

(Don't want to overdo it - seems like GTI6 cals might be OTT, quickly reading past forum comments!)

welshpug

as far as I know you should have a decent enough braking system on there already, but if it feels insufficient it's likely to need refreshing and once this is done it'll be more than ample for your needs.

this will be very cheap, as opposed to much heavier more expensive conversions like the gti6 setup.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe you'll have normal offset base model hubs with 1.9 type discs and 1.6 gti type brake calipers and normal base model rear drums with built in pressure regulators.

205 Front Hub Differences, What Brakes Fit, Etc

Edited by welshpug

selfyyy

Fit a set of 1.9 brakes? I use these on my 1.1 and they're great, can pick up a set relatively cheap too....

Tom Fenton

If the vac pump is knackered on a derv then you'll not be getting full servo assistance. It's not unheard of them to get a bit tired in old age.

forbeslongden

Could be a common problem with the STDT, mine is also far from decent in the braking department, I got told it was the brake master cylinder since all my discs, pads and brake cylinders were changed plus a system flush and still it's not better than my base model.

Can the VAC Pump still be bought new if this is also likely to be the cause?

mmatthej1

Thanks - take the point about first ensuring that all is well with existing system!

Think the rear brakes are ok, having had new slave cylinders & shoes, so focus is elsewhere and might go first to discs, which look quite knackered. Are new standard, vented discs ok or are some sort of cross drilled likely to be significantly better?

If I get new discs, I'm very tempted to swap the calipers at same time - 'Selfyy' mentions 1.9 calipers as a worthwhile improvement; presumably these would be GTI-type and a simple bolt-on swap?

Turning to the Vac pump, I think this is driven by toothed belt, so no question of reduced performance, by reason of slippage (as might be, if V-belt)?

welshpug

Vac pump will be a vee belt if it has one where the pump is remote, or directly driven from the end of the camshaft.

Not likely the earlier type would be available but I do recall a gasket kit listed.

mmatthej1

Ref. my earlier posting, any recommendations for 'best' calipers? GTI 1.9's perhaps?

mikeyd

306 turbo diesel calipers - cheap -available - straight fit [1900 ] or if wanting a bigger set of brakes 306 hdi /xsi calipers/discs [266 mm discs]

mmatthej1

Thanks mikeyd - will 306TD calipers operate ok on standard 205 discs, do you happen to know?

(also, as a matter of interest, why would the 306 ones be better - are the pistons bigger and/or pad area or whatever??

mikeyd

should bolt straight on with 306 /1900gti discs [same discs ] + a lot easier to find than 1900 gti calipers [when did you last see one of them in a breakers ?]

deathbringer929

i've got 1.9 gti discs and calipers on my stdt and they bolt straight on (using the 1.9 caliper bolts) as long as the calipers are in good condition the brakes work fine with plenty of stopping power. i'm also running 1.9td later engine so vac pump runs off end of the cam.

mmatthej1

We got a pair of GTI calipers & ventilated discs from somene selling parts but I didn't think to ask if they are 1.6 or 1.9 type - dumb of me!

Can anyone advise me, as to differences and how to identify, plse?

(they are Bendix, btw)

welshpug

see the link a few posts up.

randomcaller

I bought 1.9 gti calipers and discs and braided lines from someone on here to fit into my base model diesel and it stops a lot better. Just about fits under standard 13 inch steels with only a couple of mill clearance.

mmatthej1

Thanks Welshpug - I had somehow missed that link and it's really very helpful!

Looks like the 1.6 calipers/discs won't be of use (actually, local garage reckons they are same as ones already on our STDT) and 1.9 items are what we actually need, as per randomcaller, in previous meassage - they will work ok with ABS, the link seems to say, so now I know!

Thanks again.