• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mac Crash

Resistor? - Origin Unknown

Mac Crash

Replaced the n/s headlamp unit today for the MOT next week as the old one for some reason was actually French type (incorrect beam pattern) and found a resistor behind the headlamp with crumbled/broken and oxidised wiring (the usual) - what is this resistor for? I'm hoping it is for the long range driving lamps which are the only items on the car not working at the moment. It looks similar but not to be confused with the low speed resistor for the fan, also pictured. Thanks...

post-22670-0-78252000-1410710296_thumb.jpg

post-22670-0-36924000-1410710308_thumb.jpg

welshpug

|I'd advise removing the fan resistor from the coolant hose, they get quite hot and its not unknown for them to melt through anything that's not metal.

Mac Crash

It's for the Dim Dip headlights.

DLR's On a 1990 car? read somewhere ages ago about how there were two types of 5w side lights on a 205 or older type cars, one being really faint and the other as you would expect, a side light that can easily be seen by other motorists, but obviously not for driving other than in built-up street lighted areas.

So I don't need this resistor or the wiring for it then? and it won't affect any part of the car's lighting system by not having it?

I'd advise removing the fan resistor from the coolant hose, they get quite hot and its not unknown for them to melt through anything that's not metal.

Yip, I was surprised by how hot it gets - noted, will make up a metal clip for it.

welshpug

you do need that resistor as it runs the Dim Dip system, its not a daylight running light per se as it does not run automatically, but can be used as one.

most French cars from the late 70's onwards have them.

jackherer

The wikipedia link I posted explains it, dim dip was a UK specific legal oddity that didn't last very long.

UK regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device[21] or functionally dedicated daytime running lamps, except those vehicles type-approved to ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment—this exception was made because ECE R48 did not require dim-dip or daytime running lights, and while countries signatory to the ECE Regulations are permitted to maintain their own national regulations as an option to the ECE regulations, they are not permitted to bar vehicles approved under the ECE regulations. The dim-dip system operated the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10% and 20% of normal low-beam intensity. The running lamps permitted as an alternative to dim-dip were required to emit at least 200 candela straight ahead, and no more than 800 candela in any direction. In practice, most vehicles were equipped with the dim-dip option rather than the running lamps.[21]

The dim-dip lights were not intended for use as daytime running lights. Rather, they operated when the engine was running and the driver switched on the front position (parking) lamps. Dim-dip was intended to provide a nighttime "town beam" with intensity between that of the parking lamps commonly used at the time by British drivers in city traffic after dark, and low beam headlamps; the former were considered insufficiently intense to provide improved conspicuity in conditions requiring it, while the latter were considered too glaring for safe use in built-up areas. The UK was the only country to require such dim-dip systems, though vehicles so equipped were sold in other Commonwealth countries with left-hand traffic.[22]

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed.[21] Nevertheless, dim-dip systems remain permitted, and while such systems are not presently as common as they once were, dim-dip functionality was fitted on many new cars well into the 1990s.

Mac Crash

Lads,

I'm not 100% sure now :D unusually, your posts seem to me to contradict each other)))

I see what your both saying, but I don't really need or want DLR's either auto or manual, by looking at the state of the wiring onto this resistor it is obvious it has not been working for a while, yet my all my lights (with the exception of the aux driving lamps) are working fine, I have side lights, main lights and high beam and everything works as it should so can't I just remove this resistor and "cap off" the wiring?

If not then what is the best way to reconnect it? the brown multi-plug is shot... there are 2 entry wires, brown and purple, and 3 exit wires to the resistor, all black.

welshpug

they aren't DRL's.

Mac Crash

WP, just tell me what it does in simple terms please, all the car's lights are working, so why the need for this resistor, that's what I don't understand, thanks

welshpug

read the quote posted by Kieran.

with the ignition off and the sidelights on you get a mere 5 watts at the front and rear corners,

with the ignition on power goes through this resistor via some relays and through the dip beam filament at 20% power as well as the 5w sidelight.

so you get 15w per side on the front.

jackherer

As above, re-read my post, we are definitely in agreement!

Mac Crash

I got it now, thanks... though odd it's passed the previous MOT with just 5w sidelights & main lights, trouble is the brown connector is broken and I'm not sure about how to rewire the resistor back in as it has two wires in to the connector and then three out to the resistor? might have a spare connector I can reuse on the old car though...

Edited by Mac Crash

Anthony

To be honest you'll find that the dim-dip is inoperative on many (most?) 205's these days.

It is not an MOT requirement AFAIK and certainly my own car has the resistor missing and has gone through plenty of MOT's fine despite having the worlds most picky tester. It's only there for improved illumination when running on side-lights, and as per the link above, isn't a legal requirement on post-'88 cars.

That said, I should really get around to refitting mine given I have both a working resistor and a new bracket to attach it...

jackherer

It isn't a legal requirement on any car of any age. It WAS a requirement on new cars for a short period but then the law was quashed. It is all in the text I posted above.