• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Checking A Servo

blandy

I'm in the process of building up my 205 gti6 which I purchased as a shell with a few bits. One of the bits left on the car which was originally a 1.6gti was the servo.

Trouble is there was no master cylinder on the car and it spent a year outside uncovered. There is some rusting to the spring inside but is there any way to verify whether its a good servo or not?

My thoughts are to replace it to be on the safe side especially with it being brakes but at the same time I don't want to waste money if not needed especially when I need to buy a lot of other parts

boldy205

Stick a MC on it and give a try I recon. Or if its worrying you, stick a new servo on, its not a huge amount of money when ding the Gti6 conversion guess.

Matt

dobboy

If you haven't got your engine in yet then best do it as there isn't a great deal of room to work when engines in.

If engines out you should be able to take it off with pedals still on.

Think there is a couple of variations on the servo, mostly to do with the clutch cable entry, so best fit the one that suits your Gbox if possible, or modify while its out of the car.

welshpug

Servo has nothing to do with the clutch

dobboy

WP, i think/thought the hole for the clutch cable fitment/grommet is different depending on the age of the servo, i.e BE1/BE3 ?

so depending on what box is intended to be used, he'd be better fitting the correct servo/pedal box to suit the box.

Tom Fenton

Clutch cable entry is in the pedal box. The servo bolts to the pedal box and can be removed as a separate unit.

welshpug

that's the pedal box not the servo.

beaten to it :lol:

all you can do is check it moves and returns smoothly until you get the engine running then you can test if it holds vacuum.

Edited by welshpug