• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Brake Pad Problems

Karl

hi there fellas

Im having problems fitting my brake pads I have now purchased 2 sets and neither sets fit. the problem is that the friction material is to wide to fit both pads and the disc between the caliper. would it be feesable to sand/grind down the fricton material to make them fit?

I am sure they are the right pads as I double and treble checked after my first costly mistake!

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks, karl

MikeC

Did you wind back your piston fully?

Type of car and caliper might help.

Karl

its a phase 1 1.6 205 gti

and that's not the problem - when I fit the pads into the caliper it wont fir over the disc which leads me to think its the pad friction material

Tom Fenton

A picture would help. But typically on a 1.6 the caliper would be bolted in place over the disc and then the pads slot in. I would try pushing the caliper piston back with a large lever bar .

Karl

ill give it a try but im sure its not the piston that's the problem

Karl

just tried the piston is fully retracted I hcan fit the inner pad in but the outer one is to fat to fit in by about 4mm

Tom Fenton

Pictures.

Karl

ill upload some tomorrow in the light hopefully might help :)

Karl

having trouble uploading photo basically I can get one pad in but not the other are there skinnier pads that are ment to fit or do I need to sand/grind these ones down

Tom Fenton

Something is not right. You should not need to modify the pads. Are the sliders free ?

Karl

yup

whats your email ill try email the pic to you

Karl

even if I take the caliper and disc off the two pads anddisc don't fit in the caliper :blink: the ones ive ordered are the vehicle specific one for my car I searched on several part finder sites and they all say its the 18mm ones I have purchased

jackherer

Could you have calipers from a base model 205 with solid discs? AFAIK they look the same as 1.6 calipers but are narrower due to the thinner solid disc.

Tom Fenton

Go to photobucket and upload your pictures, then post links here. Then we can all see.

Also what is the job in hand? Are you just swapping pads or is there some other reason e.g new discs as well, or different caliper?

Karl

im trying to upload photos but it wont let me :/

Tom Fenton

Why can you not upload to photobucket? It's pretty simple. Then just paste the link int your post. To be honest without pictures we are all just wasting our time.

Karl

there on photo bucket mate they just wont upload to here wont let me paste it :wacko:

Tom Fenton

Can you take a picture to show the whole caliper? What discs and pads did you remove from the car? Looks like a base model carrier as JH mentioned above.

Have you removed the carriers from the caliper to paint them?

dcc

piston looks half out! also though brakes dont look healthy.that piston looks wusty! probs why it wunt goe bak in propa

Karl

if you luck at the pic dan the pad is as far right as it goes the piston is fully retracted and its just debris from the brakes on there with copper grease

Tom Fenton

What discs and pads did you remove from the car?

Have you removed the carriers from the caliper to paint them?

Karl

hard to tell what the pads where as theres no make on them although they are the same size and shape as my new ones just worn down the discs are also the same size as the new ones as I tried to fit the pads witht the old discs incase it was the disc but its definaley the pads