• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
N3VRAM

New/refurb Steering Rack.

N3VRAM

Hi All,

Sorry to open another thread for steering rack questions!

I've got 2 racks one with a small amount of play and the other a large amount. I put the rack with the small amount of play onto the car whilst trying to refurb the other by changing the plastic bush out for a bronze one, after swapping the racks over and taking the car over to an event 20miles awaiy yesterday it hasn't fixed the problem and the car still tries to periodically throw me off the road, i'm now going on the assumption that the actual teeth on the rack are jumping.

On that note does anyone know how hard it is to source and change the rack & pinion? If not wheres the best place to buy a NEW/FULLY REFURBISHED replacement rack (square drive).

Also if anyone has any experience with a non-PAS quick rack i'd like to know how heavy they found the steering? I currently do a lot of targa rallies and trying to swap directions quickly is difficult to say the least!

Tom Fenton

Ovalled hubs, knackered wishbones, play in rear beam.

Check all the above, I doubt the rack can jump teeth unless the pinion bearings are not there.

N3VRAM

Ovalled hubs, knackered wishbones, play in rear beam.

Check all the above, I doubt the rack can jump teeth unless the pinion bearings are not there.

I've got a UK Rallye - so no wishbones! We only have the problem with it darting off with one of the racks, the other is fine it just feels a bit heavy which i'm guessing could be down to wear and tear?

welshpug

Still has tca's which wear in the same way

Slo

More than likely the bushes on the track control arms that the anti roll bar fits through to hold it in place, when worn out the roll bar can push through the centre of the bush slightly or rather the wheel/hub can move forwards/backwards when accelerating/braking causing the arm to push and pull on the arb joint bush giving you sloppy steering.

N3VRAM

Thanks for the replies,

The TCAs have only just been replaced for brand new ones and I've done less than 200 miles since then! Like i say i only get the problem with one of the racks the other drives fine, does anyone know the best place to get another rack or have experience changing the rack & pinion?

Edited by N3VRAM

Slo

I wouldn't assume that new tca's have decent bushes in them unless they are from peugeot or have peugeot bushes as same as the wishbones patent tca's come with cheap rubber.

When you turn the wheel is there any play before the wheels move? I used to have over an inch of travel in the car before my wheels turned which was quite frightening more so when it was raining. I cured this with new track rods and ends and discovered that the column uj was also loose. No play whatsoever now its pin sharp.

N3VRAM

I wouldn't assume that new tca's have decent bushes in them unless they are from peugeot or have peugeot bushes as same as the wishbones patent tca's come with cheap rubber.

When you turn the wheel is there any play before the wheels move? I used to have over an inch of travel in the car before my wheels turned which was quite frightening more so when it was raining. I cured this with new track rods and ends and discovered that the column uj was also loose. No play whatsoever now its pin sharp.

Okay i will check the arb bushes and balljoints on the arms, i can't seem to find any poly bush replacement for the push that the arb slots through? Basically when i turn a corner going left there is not much resistance then all of a sudden it oversteers into the corner and the car veers to the side.

I'll also check the column pinch bolt too and post back, however i am CERTIAN that i get none of the above with the other rack.

Thanks for your suggestions i'll let you know

Edited by N3VRAM

S@m

What you describe sounds like loose ball joint pinch bolts or ovalled hubs to me....strange that it occurs with one rack but not the other though.

welshpug

Inner track rod joint then possibly