• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
credowan

Windscreen Replacement, Keeping Car Identification

credowan

Hi,

I looking at replacing my windscreen in the near future but would love to keep the identification that's on it as it currently matches the other windows on the car, with so many lovely restorations going on thought someone might have looked into it and how the originals were done.

The number at the bottom of the screen looks etched into the glass but the Peugeot/Talbot one at the top of the screen can be felt from the inside so could be stuck on ?

Not the best pictures but you get the idea of the bits I mean

th_imagejpg3-1.jpg

th_imagejpg4-1.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Gary

welshpug

the only way to retain the Peugeot branding is to buy a genuine Peugeot windscreen, as for the reg number that would have been etched on at a later date, I don't know if anyone still does that, as many cars will have the VIN number etched on in the factory since the early 2000's.

mrfirepro

Gary,

Have recently faced the same issue with my build as needed replacement front and rear screens to match the side glass.

Buying new was not an option as you couldn't get the Peugeot and Talbot stamp on new glass. I also wanted the E2 stamp to match the other glass and tinted.

The only way I found to get this was to search the scrap yard, I eventually found some glass but not before visiting a dozen scrap yards, most of the glass had been previously etched.

As for the security etching I seem to remember a you could get a glass etching kit which used Hydrofluoric Acid to etch the glass, making the stencil may be the difficult part.

Good luck dealing with the scrap yards as they all seem difficult to deal with.

scbond

As above, for the reg you can etch or engrave it based on a stencil.

As for the P/T stamp...you won't be able to find a new one so it's either live without or go for used, which may be tricky as well.

dobboy

I think the original etching was done with a stencil and a little hand held sand blaster.

You could maybe do the reg no. with stencils and a glass etching pen think that looks a bit like a sciber only it has a rough stone on the end.

Daviewonder

The etching is done with a paint on chemical, it was one of my jobs when I worked at a main dealer back in the 90s. You can get the etching chemical off eBay but would need to make up the stencil yourself.

• Like 1

credowan

Looks good mate, try this eBay item looks more OE i think ?

Edited by credowan

Daviewonder

Yes that's true, I didn't realise they could do reg's too.