• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Competition Spring Rates

petert

A failed control arm bush led gave me the urge to revise front spring rates. Whilst they were out, I had them tested - 360lbs/in. However, they also had witness marks, revealing where they've been going solid regularly. I have another set of springs, which tested at 410. However, the suspension guru suggested that 410 wouldn't be enough if I'm currently spring binding at 360. So we've gone a huge step up to 515. This is to run with A050's. What's everyone else running?

allanallen

What spring length have you been using and how much droop/bump do you have?

What are the lengths of the 410s and 515s?

What rear bars are you using and what dampers?

It sounds like the current springs are too short. Do you like the current set up or do you feel it needs firmer springs?

Edited by allanallen

petert

I haven't got droop/bump measurements at hand, but it's way undersprung. The attached shot was taken when we had 23mm TB's. We've since moved on to Spax coilovers. Front springs: 410lbs FL 175mm, 515lbs FL 150mm.

post-2864-0-72568600-1408616594_thumb.jpeg

JeffR

Interesting that you mention spring bind. On my 405 I've got the drivers side (engine side) spring platform wound up about 20mm higher than the passenger side to get the ride height same on each side. It seemed odd on one hand, but since the engine is on that side of the car I thought it made sense.

However I've noticed that there are witness marks from coil binding on that spring. Springs are 65mm x 7" x 400lb. Passenger side is OK.

I might have to get Aldo to make me another set of higher poundage ones too.

petert

Another on a faster corner.

post-2864-0-30382900-1408617407_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

allanallen

Coilovers on the rear then? What's the wheel rate?

allanallen

Interesting that you mention spring bind. On my 405 I've got the drivers side (engine side) spring platform wound up about 20mm higher than the passenger side to get the ride height same on each side. It seemed odd on one hand, but since the engine is on that side of the car I thought it made sense.

However I've noticed that there are witness marks from coil binding on that spring. Springs are 65mm x 7" x 400lb. Passenger side is OK.

I might have to get Aldo to make me another set of higher poundage ones too.

20mm seems a lot?! Are they defo a matched pair?

JeffR

Good question! I don't have anything to test them with, but they were custom made and I assume they're matched. I'll get the next set checked before installing them.

Has anyone else found they need unequal spring platforms to get equal ride height side to side (16V alloy engine)?

petert

Coilovers on the rear then? What's the wheel rate?

450lbs, but who knows, I may have to up that now.

Jeff, you'll definitely need bigger springs. Contact Greg Nolan at Suspension Concepts. They weren't a lot more expensive than the other place. He's also happy to swap until you've got it right. He has a huge range.

JeffR

Thanks Peter, I'll give him a call.

allanallen

If that's a rear wheel rate of 450 that's very stiff, much higher than 25mm bars afaik. I'd certainly give the 515s a go. I've never gone coil bound on 500lbx150mm long springs with my iron block 309

petert

What do you think is the wheel rate for a std GTi torsion bar?

welshpug

circa 100 lb

• Like 1

petert

Seems low. I thought they'd be more like 150ish.