• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Clapton_Is_God

Rear Beam Bracket Question

Clapton_Is_God

Hello All,

I have decided to take the plunge and have a go at rebuilding my rear beam (God help me).

I bought it reconditioned from a company called SSP Engineering. Out of interest, has anyone here had any dealings with them?

When I took the cross member brackets off I noticed that both were marked with the letter G and I understand that Peugeot mark their parts with a G and D to determine left or right. My question is, are these things handed? They look offset to me, should I have one stamped with a D?

Many thanks for any advice.

post-25004-0-32500400-1408211472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clapton_Is_God

welshpug

indeed one should be marked D and one G, with both the same the beam will sit on the piss across the car, making the wheelbase shorter on one side by about 20mm or so.

Clapton_Is_God

Thank you for the quick reply!

That's what I thought because the wheels sat unevenly in the arches and I never could figure out why. Hence the reason for asking if anyone has had any dealings with them.

Hmmmmmmm.

chipstick

Give them a call and explain what's happened. I'm sure they will be apologetic and get you one in the post.

Whilst it's something you'd hope would be noticed - mistakes do happen and it's not as if they would intentionally give you two G's and someone else to D's to maximise profits.

farmer

Am sorry,but as a so called professional company who offers this service that kind of thing shouldn't be happening.

These things should be checked over twice as a beam isn't a cheap bit of kit and safety is important.

From reads in the past I wouldn't trust there work and this underlines that, if a simple error like this is made what is the workmanship like elsewhere?

I don't build beams or intend to build beams for a living or have any affinity to one company or an individual just stating an opinion.