• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Schern

Panel Differences - Base Model, Convertible, Gti

Schern

I've started cutting out rust on my GTI and need to find some replacement parts to weld in. The rear arches and lower rear quarter are the main areas of rust and I've already started cutting out the passenger side arch (where it didn't just fall apart in my hands). I'm looking for a replacement panel to weld in but don't seem to be easily able to get hold of a patch panel so was thinking of cutting the area out of someone who's breaking a car locally... but it's a CJ. Other than the arch missing the holes for the GTI will there be any other differences? Presumably I can just drill holes in the right places?

Clapton_Is_God

I replaced my lower rear quarters with base model panels, albeit a new panel. The wheel on a base model is smaller so the wheel arch/panel is larger. You'll need to cut the arch to the correct shape and fold over the edge to create the lip. It's a faff but it can be done. Be sure and keep the GTI panel as a template or make a template from the other side and flip it over.

There is a good thread on here somewhere that I followed with plenty of good pictures.

Edited by Clapton_Is_God

Schern

Do you think it will be easier to start with a base model arch compared to just forming sheet metal?

farmer

My mate has GTI rear 1/4 panels for sale but is based in Liverpool

Clapton_Is_God

I guess that all depends on the level of corrosion and your skills as a fabricator. I did look into the idea of cutting it out in patches but found it easier to cut it all out and start again with a fresh panel. There is no such thing as a repair panel, only a replacement wing.

I don't even know if genuine rear quarters are still available. They were at the time, I was just too tight to buy them ;-)

farmer

I don't think any 205 GTI panels are left in stock.

Schern

IMG_20140815_151527_zpshaozwubl.jpg

Well this is how it's looking at the moment. I took the plastic molding off and a large chunk of the arch came away with it. I've ground back a bit but obviously need to neaten the area up. Just looking for the best course really. The drivers side is more solid in the arch area I think but it's rotten at the base of the quarter panel where it meets the arch/sill.

My mate has GTI rear 1/4 panels for sale but is based in Liverpool

Any idea on price? Edited by Schern

farmer

It was AROUND £250 collected per 1/4 panel

Schern

I guess that all depends on the level of corrosion and your skills as a fabricator. I did look into the idea of cutting it out in patches but found it easier to cut it all out and start again with a fresh panel. There is no such thing as a repair panel, only a replacement wing.

I don't even know if genuine rear quarters are still available. They were at the time, I was just too tight to buy them ;-)

My skill as a fabricator is nil... But I can spend more time than I can money haha

Clapton_Is_God

Jeeees, looks a mess! If it were me I would buy a pattern panel and make it fit, I paid £80 for mine.

Good luck!

scbond

My opinion would be to neaten it up and then weld in sheet metal.

Schern

I went and cut some bits out of a CJ yesterday so I'm going to see how I get on reshaping the arch on that panel and go from there. It doesn't need to be massively neat at the arch as it will all be covered by the moulding anyway. Just blending the weld in with the rest of the body will be important.