• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CCollier300571

Binding Rear Brakes

CCollier300571

Hello all. Ive been rooting about for a solution but for some reason or another there has been other issues contributing to a problem so i thought id get a fresh enquiry going

First of all this problem only affects the offside rear brake. I have renewed the handbrake cables and ensured they arnt dragging and today replaced the complete caliper and bled the whole system (the system was filthy but ive now flushed through with a litre of brake fluid) but the brake still binds. The brake does release in time but once you apply the brakes again the brake binds yet again. Its almost like the fluid is reluctant to go back to the reservoir. There hasnt been any work on the braking system for some time so i know nothing has been adjusted which has contributed to the problem.

Many thanks for any leads.

jackherer

How old are the brake hoses? The inner part can break down and flap about which acts like a one way valve.

BrakeHoseCheckFailure.gif

• Like 1

Anthony

Easy way to check the above is to crack off the bleed nipple when the brake is binding - if it then frees off, it's likely a hose issue as above (assuming it's a single brake binding)

• Like 1

CCollier300571

The pipes are damn old. I did wonder about the pipes but when i bled the system there wasnt a problem bleeding them

I shall try and get a pair of pipes tomoz and get them swapped and let you know. cheers

Edited by CCollier300571

Tom Fenton

As the guys say above. When the caliper is binding, crack off the bleed nipple and see if that releases the brake.

• Like 1

farmer

If in doubt about any part of the braking system, replace.

CCollier300571

Im slowly working through it all.

CCollier300571

Sorted. Dodgy rear flexi pipes :-/