• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

205 Rallye Front Damper Removal

fliprio

Just changing the dampers all round on the Rallye, rears seemed to come off easily, but the fronts are being a pain, any idea how you can leaver down the wishbone far enough to get the strut out?

On the GTi i usually disconnect the ARB which allows a bit more movement, but with the different style of ARB that doesn't look likes it comes off very easily and the long standard springs it just wont pull down far enough and the bottom ball joint is being stubborn at coming out the hub - I dont think this thing has been apart in years!

any tips would be much appreciated

welshpug

jacked both sides up?

fliprio

jacked both sides up?

yep, both wheels off the floor so ARB shouldn't be pushing either side up

fliprio

any other ideas to try?

welshpug

lever the tca down whilst bumping the hub inwards

Miles

Long spring syndrome, There were cables available from pug to keep the spring compressed before removal to get around this so the answer is in my post

fliprio

Long spring syndrome, There were cables available from pug to keep the spring compressed before removal to get around this so the answer is in my post

I have the spring compressors on there, but with the strut on the car, you cant get the bottom or top coil, just the 3 or 4 in the middle. Theres enough force in the one coil not compressed to take up all the slack and not allow it to move up and out.

Miles

I did make some cable's up years ago, you'll see the holes in the top mount and spring pan on the damper, Good idea when you think about it.

Other option is some thick hose clips

camgti

Disconnect the wishbone from the hub and drop it all out?

GeorgeXS

It's been a while since I did then when I owned my XS but I remember it being difficult as you say. I didn't do this at the time but can you undo the inboard bolt of the TCA and then pivot it around the ARB without undoing it? I remember using a long bar to lever down the TCA against the ARB as Welshpug says.

fliprio

It's been a while since I did then when I owned my XS but I remember it being difficult as you say. I didn't do this at the time but can you undo the inboard bolt of the TCA and then pivot it around the ARB without undoing it? I remember using a long bar to lever down the TCA against the ARB as Welshpug says.

Yep, thats how it came out in the end, although I never manage to do it without pulling the drive shaft partialy out and get gearbox oil everywhere!

GeorgeXS

Yep, thats how it came out in the end, although I never manage to do it without pulling the drive shaft partialy out and get gearbox oil everywhere!

Oh so very true, happened to me every time too!