• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Drivers Lock Barrel Temporarily Sticking

TaffyTim

for the last month my drivers door lock has been freezing in the locked position.

Ive been putting the key in and it turns anticlockwise but tuning clockwise to unlock the car it gives resistance and refuses to release the lock.

After being driven once or twice it then sorts itself out and works as if theres no problem.

Last time it freed up i took the doorcard off and greased up all the points that i could see.

It came back again today and I dont know why.

Has anyone got any ideas whats going on?

The locks still have the remote locking system on them but this has not been used for years as ive never had a fob.

TaffyTim

no ideas?

welshpug

Probably the door handle sticking.

Weser

Had this on one of my old 205s. It got really bad that eventually I couldn't unlock the door. I took the locking/latching mechanism out the door. Gave it a damn good degrease and clean. Made sure it was all free and then re-oiled and re-fitted. Was fine after that.

Alan77

You can lubricate the locks and prolong them for a while, but eventually they stick more and more. Get a new pair of Valeo locks if using another key doesn't bother you.

TaffyTim

Probably the door handle sticking.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Welshpug. I started to experience problems where the door didnt want to latch shut when being closed.

With my fingers in it today it looks like i missed the part of the mechanism by the door handle. When i greased up the innards after starting this topic i had the window open so i missed the handle mechanism at the top.

Today when feeling it the hammer part of the mechanism was dropping back to its rest position really slowly, its all greased up now and is falling with much more force, lets hope I've nailed it this time!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

I ended up having to replace the locks today as you suggested Alan77. The locks themselves were fine but the plastic lug on the back of them that connects to the metal rods had worn the circular lobes out.

I did think about removing the plastic lugs off the new barrels and applying them to my current barrels but at £46 quid a set from GSF i cant afford to replace them if they broke. So i am now a 3 key car. Boot/ignition, petrol cap, doors :angry: