• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Clapton_Is_God

Seat Adjuster Knob Removal?

Clapton_Is_God

Hello All,

I guess you could say the real knob here is me!

In an effort to revamp my seats I decided to swap the covers over from the drivers to the passengers and vice versa. After all the effort of repairing, dying and rebuilding the seats I've gone and refitted them back as they were :(

Is it a definite no in terms of removing and swapping over the adjuster knob? It doesn't want to come off, is it a case of breaking it to get it off?

I want to keep the plastic covers and don't want to bend the tilt lever by swapping the runners over.

I would appreciate any advice.

post-25004-0-69153100-1407261031_thumb.jpg

stufarri

You can't just swap this over unfortunately - the only way to do it properly is to reassemble the seats or bend the tilt arm as you mentioned.

You can get this off as they are held on with plastic 'lips' on 3 or 4 plastic cylinders around the spindle. If you prise one off and hold it there with a screwdriver you can then prise the others off too. Very fiddly but do-able.

Edited by stufarri

Clapton_Is_God

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply!

So are you saying it won't fit on the other side even if I do manage to get it off?

If that's the case I will admit defeat, it took me all day to reassemble them :-(

stufarri

No it will not fit properly unfortunately. I'd prefer to do it properly and swap the cover, a pain I know but the only real solution without bending the release arm too.

Clapton_Is_God

Yes, I agree, it's just a major hassle after doing it all already. You live and learn!

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Slo

That round handle has a cap that you can manipulate off then the fixing is underneath to remove it, forget if its a nut of a clamp its been a while.

Mine are reversed and its not really an issue to have the round seat back turny thing on the outside of the seat for me, theres enough room between the door and the seat and the handle to be able to turn it

Clapton_Is_God

Good stuff, thanks Andy.

I'll give that a go later.

Edited by Clapton_Is_God

B1ack_Mi16

I did change this over on my 405 once.

I ended up cutting off the metal piece and welding it onto the rod on the other side.

It actually worked fine and my passenger seat functions perfectly as drivers seat now, with the adjustment on the correct side.