• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
randomspeedfreak

Domed Strut Top

randomspeedfreak

Hi all,

Just got my 205 on the road after a gti6 conversion, few things wrong with it atm

One of the things wrong is the dampers on the front have siezed, they work fine when you push the wing down, but over actual bumps they are locked solid.

Unfortunatley for me i found this out on the way to the mot, when at about 40mph i hit a fairly large bump/ pothole, it felt like it pretty much launched the poor thing into the air from the passenger side. Now on checking the strut top on that side it appears clear it has domed slightly. I wish i had my strut brace on at the time to offer some support

Ive sprayed all the engine bay and underside, so id ideally like to avioid any drastic cutting and sticking.

My question is this: is there any known ways of straightening the strut top back out? i have an understanding of how crucial geometry is, and potentially accesss to corner scales, but is there a method anyone has tried other than say, forcing the strut bolts back with a large hammer, or cutting and rejigging the strut tops?

Thoughts welcome

Cheers,

Matt

welshpug

drop the top mounts down, flatten the turrets down, bolt back up.

you could add some strengthening plates.

m@ttc

Put your strut brace on and tighten the nuts up to get it somewhere closer, and a mallet if needed should do the job.

randomspeedfreak

ok ill give that a go, cheers gents

Tom Fenton

Large block of hardwood and a lump hammer, beat them back down straight.