• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Some Rain Got In.... Quite A Bit Of It.....

johnnyboy666
commievid

Rear quarter windows? Try a hose at them, with the trim off, you should see the water taking a path to the rear footwells.

Have a look behind the rear wheels and poke a finger up as there's drainage holes there, could be blocked.

jackherer

I nearly posted that suggestion but this is a van so it presumably doesn't have any rear windows!

• Like 1

Mac Crash

Talcum powder will show you the source and yip, silt indicates it's been collecting there, both my leaks/sources of ingress were from the rear quarter lights, being a van, I'd be investigating the boot seal first?

commievid

A van? D'oh!

Then I think the only possibilities from there would be the rear quarter trim bits, there's holes the trim clip into, could have come in through there. Bit of silicone sealant on those.

Don't know if this affects the vans, but above the rear quarter window area, there's sometimes cracks, where the seam sealer gets fatigued. Could be another source of water ingress.

I always pondered the possibility of a van GTI, where having no windows and presumably no sunroof would eliminate further causes of leaks. But it looks like that might not be the case!

MikeC

Would it come in the top of the strut? Is the water in behind a panel.

trogboy

Isn't the window on a van just replaced with a piece of sheet steel that gets bonded into the recess? If so I'd be checking for a cracked seal.

johnnyboy666

It does seem as if the panels are bonded in, but theres no moisture or rust streaks around there.

There is a single wire going between the boot and the seal which presumably used to power the amber lights it had on the roof. I will remove that to eliminate it. I think I'll take the quarter badges off to seal them up to make sure its not that. I was going to colour code them anyway a-la Rallye.

as for the lights, its weird that theres no water directly behind the lights, more in the bit further forward, but I'll take them off to investigate anyway.

Due to this issue, the boot floor is rusty enough to warrant an MOT fail. Not ideal.