• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Headlight Beam Adjustment

dobboy

Howdy, just now after a fair bit of work ( and renewal of headlight panels a light year ago) i'm hopefully ready for an MOT, and recently refitted my headlights.

Just now, on full beam i have 2 hot spots about 5 meters from front of car, both sort of directly in front of car (probably should have covered my driving lights to see if it was them or headlights).

Anyway, can anyone tell me roughly what i should be adjusting the headlights to be aiming for/what the MOT requirements are? (and what i should be aiming my driving lights for if possible)

TIA

Slo

driving lights might as well be pointing at the moon as far as the mot is concerned, its just your own preference where you want to point them but generally a dark lane where you can aim them uninterupted is best, as for the headlights they will do this at the mot they just need to be at the right height and same level

dobboy

Cheers Slo.

I'd like to try setting them correctly (or as close as i can) myself, I wouldn't be surprised if they are well off, as i said i replaced the HL panels, (and there was bit of cursing/wrestling involved), and the directions of the headlights could be outwith the maximums of the screw, and pointing where they shouldn't be.

But i'm not sure where they should be pointing for an MOT?

I'm guessing that at night they should spill slightly beyond the width of the car to the OS, and be uniform accross the road from about 1m infront of car for as far as the lights can throw, and spill onto the pavement a bit?

Slo

they should point to the nearside slightly or they will dazzle oncoming drivers

dobboy

That's what i was thinking......(but I made it sound complicated). The hot spots i have are likely the driving lights. i'll cover the DL's up and see what the HL's are actually doing and see if i can adjust accordingly.

chipstick

Personally I'd just put the car in front of a wall and ensure they weren't too high, get them equal and let the MOT tester get them spot on.

welshpug

You dont adjust on main beam so driving lights confusing you wont be an issue.