• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
john-melbourne

Seized Bleed Nipples

john-melbourne

Hi Guys,

I have got some front callipers that i want to refurb, my only problem is the bleed nipples will not move! I have soaked them in WD40 every night for the last few days but no joy. I don't want to try excessive force and round them off. I have read a few different posts that say to heat them up, some say don't heat them up. Some say drill them out, some say don't drill them out.

I suppose the advantage i have is that they are off the car and are spares so i have access to everything and it not a rush to get them back on.

What's the best thing to try first?

Thanks

John

Tom Fenton

First off you need to man up and either undo them or shear them off. Use proper fitting good quality tools and you should not round anything. If they come undone then jobs a goodun. If you shear them off then if you think you are up to it drill and extract, otherwise exchange them at a motor factor for rebuilt ones.

farmer

When I exchanged my dads land cruiser caliper the company said they would not accept snapped bled screws.

Alan_M

Hi Guys,

I have got some front callipers that i want to refurb, my only problem is the bleed nipples will not move! I have soaked them in WD40 every night for the last few days but no joy. I don't want to try excessive force and round them off. I have read a few different posts that say to heat them up, some say don't heat them up. Some say drill them out, some say don't drill them out.

I suppose the advantage i have is that they are off the car and are spares so i have access to everything and it not a rush to get them back on.

What's the best thing to try first?

Thanks

John

WD40 isn't the ideal stuff for this, try some proper penetrating/easing spray and an 8mm ring spanner (I've a little 6 point one just for nipples).

If they do shear, you can drill them out with a pillar drill (pain in the arse though as you have to clamp the caliper at the right angle - the nipple thread is angled slightly) but you have to be very careful not to penetrate the seat.

What calipers are they? Can you not snap up some off here with free nipples?

john-melbourne

WD40 isn't the ideal stuff for this, try some proper penetrating/easing spray and an 8mm ring spanner (I've a little 6 point one just for nipples).

If they do shear, you can drill them out with a pillar drill (pain in the arse though as you have to clamp the caliper at the right angle - the nipple thread is angled slightly) but you have to be very careful not to penetrate the seat.

What calipers are they? Can you not snap up some off here with free nipples?

Hi,

There are nothing special, just for my 1.6. I think i bought off here about 2 years ago but put them in a box and forgot about them :ph34r:

Biggles

I've drilled out bleed nipples using a hand held drill quite successfully. Just take your time and be careful.

Slo

Grip the nipples in a vice, guaranteed non slip or rounding off that way plus you can get a decent grip of the thing with two hands.

Simes

26042605.jpg

Use one of these - 6 point and slightly thicker than a normal spanner so as to not round off.

A 6 point socket will be just as good.

Or drill out,

cheesegrater

I use a 6 sided spanner and a swift tap with a hammer. Works a treat.