• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eastlondonpug

Rear Damper - What And Where To Buy?

eastlondonpug

Hi

I have black Blisteins on my car at the rears installed 2 years ago when I picked them very cheap. I find them soft and the car is generally not very planted. There seems to be some imbalance because of this.

I think its now time to change these to a 306gti part which I have heard are a good upgrade. I have been calling Peugeot for parts 5206K6 and 5206TE (which has superseded the K6). Unfortunately, some of them dont have this in stock and onbe particular dealer said that he could order this for me but would cost £150 including VAT for the pair. Peter Lloyd sells a pair of Blistein challenge spec dampers for about the same price.

Can anyone recommend what the next best cheaper option is - will the generic KYB or similar shocks (306 gti) be ok for general fast road driving? My suspension is pretty much standard but lowered 30mm.

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but it seems that was a while ago when it seems that the prices were a bit cheaper.

Any part numbers, other suggestions or links for where I can purchase repalcements will also be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by eastlondonpug

Anthony

Which black Bilsteins have you got - should be a part number on them?

The early 205/309 GTi B4 ones (slim body) were way underdamped IMO and bordering on a liability, but they eventually revised them a couple of years back or so (fatter body) and now they're quite reasonable apparently, although I've not personally tried them.

Bilstein Challenge dampers work well enough, but they are quite stiff and would probably be a bit too much for an otherwise standard-ish road car - I find them OK, but I wouldn't want them any stiffer.

eastlondonpug

Thanks, I have the black slim ones (B4). I dont have the exact part number.

Anthony

The early slim body ones are terrible so I'm not surprised that you're finding them a bit soft!

Give Kev at Kamracing (Batfink on here) a shout - he does the B4's (and other Bilsteins) at a good price and knows the various options available for 205's. I believe there's a slightly stiffer B4 option available that works well as a budget upgrade for road cars - I think it's Xsara ones but if you give him a shout he'll no doubt sort you out.

The OE 306 GTi dampers do work well and last many years, but the price has been creeping up and they're looking rather less attractive in terms of value than they did a few years back, especially as Bilstein have finally sorted out the rear B4's (the fronts have always been a good standard replacement). I'm pretty sure that the OE rears used to be £40 a piece not so long back, but they'd hardly be the first x05/x06 part that's shot up in price for no apparent reason...

Alan77

A quick look on servicebox shows 5206TE still available but on back order. They are now £70 each.

I got a pair 18 months ago from Pug and they were £45 each each. A great standard rear shock though...

eastlondonpug

Thanks a lot, thats very helpful. I will contact him.