• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Rear Brake Regulator

James Cornell

I am 95% sure this is causing my problem as when you press the brake pedal the O/S rear brake is spinning and the N/S will lock up but when you pull the handbrake they both work well (on the MOT rollers).

My question is if I take the reg off is there a way I can fix it if it is broken and is there a way to test them when taken off the car?

Clapton_Is_God

I remember cutting mine in half and thinking there was no way it could be repaired.

I guess you could test it by swapping them over. I found on mine it was the opposite side that was at fault, the side that gave the better reading on the brake test. It seems that when it failed it went open circuit and gave a false reading. As such, I ended up changing the wrong side and it failed the MOT again.

James Cornell

Normally I would not even consider repairing brake components, I would just bin the faulty parts and replace them but these regulators are £60 odd each and there are two so it makes for a bloody expensive job (considering disks and pads is about £50 a pair)

Kane

I've just renewed my brake lines on my project and instead of going through the expense of renewing both the compensators (both mine looked like they had passed it) I bought an adjustable bias valve. I picked up the tilton unit for £40 second hand but in almost new condition so a good saving on the alternative.

• Like 1

James Cornell

Does that tilton valve compensate for both rear brakes then? Instead of having a reg for each brake line...

cheesegrater

With an adjustable valve you have one input and one output which will then be tee'd off somewhere near the rear beam. This governs the pressure to both rear cylinders.

Kane

As above. I've plumbed in my system by running the two rear outputs from the master cylinder down to a t-piece fitting located on the bulkhead. A single brake line then runs under the length of the car and up into the boot where I have mounted the bias valve on to the inner OS rear wheel arch. From here the single output is split again using a t-piece and then onto the two rear flexi hoses.

Some might argue what the point of having a bias valve if it is not mounted where the driver can adjust it when he/she chooses although as I don't intend on adjusting regularly, if ever, once set up I think it's a sensible and cheaper replacement for the standard compensators.

James Cornell

Good shout I will defiantly look at that as a solution when I get the car up in the air