• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry 1.9GTi

Dmack Trackday Tyre

Henry 1.9GTi

Hi chaps,

Anyone used the DMACK list 1b before?

Have ordered a set of 4 as couldn't get hold of my usual Silverstone FTZ Type RR

The silvertones were a revelation compared to R888's so don't want to lose the performance they gave.

Anyone had experience of these DMACK tyres?

Cheers.

stu8v

Looked at them for a bit but went used slicks in the end.

Let me know how you get on.

Biggles

I'll be interested to hear how you get on too. I was considering the full tarmac rally Dmacks but a friend tried fitting some onto 15" Speedlines for a customer and couldn't get them on the rims no matter what he tried. I think he said Dmack were aware of the issue that 15" ones can be impossibly tight.

Mad Scientist

Haven't tried these, but a mate who also competes has. He said they were ok, but only on the dry. This is comparing to other cut slicks though.

Not sure how these wear either, but I only get a couple of rallies out of a cut slick. Possibly a false economy for track days versus r889 etc.

Miles

Never heard of them, But good to see some positive results on the FTZ's, I run these as well

Biggles

Haven't tried these, but a mate who also competes has. He said they were ok, but only on the dry. This is comparing to other cut slicks though.

Not sure how these wear either, but I only get a couple of rallies out of a cut slick. Possibly a false economy for track days versus r889 etc.

What was he using them on ? What size ?

A couple of rallies from a slick on the front of your car doesn't sound to bad to me - I reckon on 100-150 miles from the CR311's I've got at the moment. God knows what I'm going to use when they've gone. (Hence my interest in Dmacks.)

Mad Scientist

15 inch on a 205.

I have a stash of new Dunlops, but once they are gone I'll have to try hankook or kuhmo. There are also pirellis available which my tyre man says are good. They are about £10 a corner dearer than the cr311's were.

jimmi

How do you rate the Silverstone HTZ's ? Best used for track events or closed-road rallying ?

Biggles

Hi chaps,

Anyone used the DMACK list 1b before?

Have ordered a set of 4 as couldn't get hold of my usual Silverstone FTZ Type RR

The silvertones were a revelation compared to R888's so don't want to lose the performance they gave.

Anyone had experience of these DMACK tyres?

Cheers.

Used them in anger yet ?

Henry 1.9GTi

yes just did at brands in sunny weather!

can report they are alot narrower in 195/50/15 guise than the silverstone. The silverstone is especially wide measuring 205mm across the tread. The Dmacks measured ~190mm. They are also stiffer in the sidewall than the silverstone which I didn't think possible given how stiff the silverstones are. This meant they were an absolute ball ache to fit and the tyre shop wasn't happy especially as the agreed to cash and it took them twice as long!

They gave a different feel to the silverstones, less opportunity to recover from an error, which again the silverstones are pretty aggressive. They have a fair few edges which got knocked off pretty quickly but wear seemed good and even. I have to run 4deg camber to get the silverstones to work, I knocked this back to ~3.5 for the DMACKs and this didn't seem to loose any performance. My silverstones were well used shall we say so couldn't get a definitive back to back but the DMACKs didn't feel slower. I think ultimately the silverstones are quicker over a lap but @ high track temps they tend the grain quite badly on the front with no downforce to help the tyre (T5 compound, medium - T8 is available but I dont want the complication of different tyres front and rear and loosing damp/wet performance, have to run these tyres in wet conditions as well and have on many occasions!) and probably me over driving. DMACKs seemed less susceptible to this.

Bottom line is at the moment I wont be going back to them mainly down to fitment issues and the narrower footprint which I noticed mostly under braking rather than lateral. For my race coming up im going to run my old silverstones at 4 deg camber for quali in the hope of getting 1 good lap and then knock the camber back for the DMACKs and the race.

hope that gives you guys something to go on! oh and for anyone running R888s . just don't, you are missing out!

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi
  • Like 1

Biggles

Excellent feedback. Thanks.

For info, what wheels do you run - make & size ?

From what I understand, the Dmack Trackday is based on the DMT-RC rally tyres so the 195/50-15 will be designed to be under the 8" (203mm) overall width limit for the 1600 class (over 1600 would use the 225's) so your 190 tread width sounds spot on. The DMT-RC's have incredibly stiff sidewalls and people often have to soften their setup to get them to work properly - assuming you can get them on the rims in the first place - from what I gather, getting 15" DMT-RC's onto 1.9 GTI Speedlines is nigh on impossible.

Henry 1.9GTi

running them on 1.9gti speedlines. I think one wheel is actually an SMR.

Apparently despite warnings of max 40psi to seat the tyre they had to use over 140psi to seat it. Doesn't appear to have done any damage to the tyre just glad the guys fitting it didnt get a tyre explode in their face. They told me this after fitting btw ;)

I run relatively stiff for a 205 that retains torsion bars. I have tuned this setup on the silverstones which are also a very stiff tyre compared to most list 1b. So didn't really have too much issue going to the DMACK, have to say though now you've mentioned it, it did feel like it could loose a little front spring after swapping, or more like needing more lowspeed bump damping.