• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Square Drive, Non-Pas Lower Column - What Year?

Stu

Hi all,

I shall shortly be converting my non PAS 205 to Xsara VTS PAS and know i need the square drive non-pas coupler, just wondered what sort of year this started appearing? theres a J plate non-pas 4 door in my local scrappy so im thinking this will have the right joint?

• Like 1

welshpug

Changeover was circa 1990

nick205

I think I have a square drive lower column in the garage if you need one?

Anthony

As above - it was around 1990/G with the other Phase 1.5 to Phase 2 changes from what I've seen.

A J plate car should have the correct lower column fitted although so many cars have been changed over the years that it's always a little bit of a lottery. Check that it moves smoothly in all directions without any notchiness or slack - many are getting tired now after 20+ years use and exposure.

Tom Fenton

I've always found F reg cars have splined, G reg have square. Could be just the ones I've seen but as a general rule of thumb it's served me well enough!

welshpug

probably find that most of your G platers have been the very last phase 1.5's or even early phase 2, mine is/was splined on a very early registered G :)

Tom Fenton

I have never seen a g reg phase 2, I didn't think there were any?

dcc

I had a G reg phase 2, 1.6 with clothphase 2 seats, but black dash and plastics, with coil on the inlet :) (was a graphite grey sunroof)

Anthony

Most if not all 1990/G reg cars will be late Phase 1.5's - the so-called Phase 1.75's

It seems to be early H reg cars when the full Phase 2's specification came in (or late 1991/H reg if you count the later coolant hose's and door wiring)

I suspect that most "Phase 2" G reg cars have been changed by a previous owner - later G's had many of the Phase 2 changes anyway (seats, BE3, inlet mounted coil, clear indicators etc)