• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

Pas Quick Rack Question

Biggles

Am I correct in thinking that if I have a std PAS rack (spline drive, 3.2 turns) but would like something a bit quicker but need to retain the spline drive, then I'm a bit stuffed as Xsara VTS racks are the only quicker option but they are flat drive ?....

Thanks in advance.

Biggles

Thought so. Oh well, makes it an easy (and cheap) decision then.

Ta.

welshpug

Not quite, but I doubt you will find one, zx 16v was splined and 2.4 turn.

is it not possible to use square drive like many on here have done? Not sure how much your car differs to the 205, rack itself is the same right?

Biggles

Rack is the same but the column is different so the bottom section of my column is bespoke. Yes, I could make a new bottom section to go from column to Xsara rack but I'd need an original bottom section to start with and they seem to be pretty rare.

jackherer

What car do you have?

Rarity isn't an issue, you could use a lower column from a Xsara or 306 if you just needed the U/J and square fitting, they're identical to 205 ones just slightly longer.

welshpug

its a Visa :D

sideways thinking time, isn't the front of the C15 the same/similar to a Visa?

so maybe a source of a compatible square drive PAS lower column? (4104 19, DW8 PAS square drive...)

Biggles

The short answer is possibly. The lower section of the Visa column is 17mm dia - the lower section of the 205 column is 18mm dia. Hence the lower 205 section doesn't fit the Visa upper U/J. Some cutting, turning & welding would sort this out but I need the 17mm dia bit to start with. So the question is what dia is the C15 lower column ? Time to find out methinks.

Ta.