• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

1.9 Fr Brakes On A Cj

dobboy

I'm thinking of fitting a set of 1.9 calipers/discs to the front of my CJ.

Can anyone confirm that 1.9 front calipers and discs are a straight fit ?

Also, will the pedal feel etc be ok? Or are there any issues I might come across?

Thanks

205gtiloz

I'm thinking of fitting a set of 1.9 calipers/discs to the front of my CJ.

Can anyone confirm that 1.9 front calipers and discs are a straight fit ?

Also, will the pedal feel etc be ok? Or are there any issues I might come across?

Thanks

Hi there think you need to change the hubs and drive shafts all to 1.9 the wheel bearing hub flang are flared out more when u look at a 1.6 they are wider track at front than the back
  • Like 1

welshpug

cj uses bog standard base model hubs, so the same offset as a 1.9, just swap the calipers and discs straight over.

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks for the response guys.

I thought as its base model style it would be but wanted to check.

I'll be ok without compensators etc at the back also?

welshpug

It has some In the wheel cylinders

• Like 1

205gtiloz

Correct me if I am wrong but cj 1.4 smaller calipers diffrent fitment than 1.9 calipers as are the 1.6 and the the 1.9 auto has 1.6 brakes which are diffrent I may be wrong only owned 2 cj's and didn't really do much to them but can't see it my self I think you will need to change the lot drive shafts hubs and calipers

205gtiloz

Correct me if I am wrong but cj 1.4 smaller calipers diffrent fitment than 1.9 calipers as are the 1.6 and the the 1.9 auto has 1.6 brakes which are diffrent I may be wrong only owned 2 cj's and didn't really do much to them but can't see it my self I think you will need to change the lot drive shafts hubs and calipers

Also the compensator is for the rear and as it is a 1.4 with drums it should have one large compensator that sits under your expansion bottle this for the rear, one single brake pipe from this to rear then splits off too each cylinder which don't have compensators in you should not need to touch this but you will need to bleed the whole system so check the rear bread nipple before you start or you could have a compleat night mare :)

welshpug

Loz, you seem to be very misinforned, only 1.6 gti brake setups use a single front to rear line and single compensator.

any 205 caliper will physically bolt onto any 205 hub, however a 1.6 gti drive flange has a taller offset and a matching disc, as this is vented then only the 1.9 caliper is an alternative direct fit (from 205's at least)

205gtiloz

Loz, you seem to be very misinforned, only 1.6 gti brake setups use a single front to rear line and single compensator.

any 205 caliper will physically bolt onto any 205 hub, however a 1.6 gti drive flange has a taller offset and a matching disc, as this is vented then only the 1.9 caliper is an alternative direct fit (from 205's at least)

So are the auto the same will 1.9 fit on them the same ? Like I say only had couple and sold them straight away but I do recall them all and the xs 1.6 with drums having single compensator single pipe then split at the rear

welshpug

The xs was a 1360 engine.

dobboy

WP, do you know off hand if a 13" steelie fits over the 1.9 calipers ok?

TIA

welshpug

I doubt they will, the euro rallye used 13" wheels over a 1.6 brake setup with the taller offset, so they might with a spacer.

dobboy

I'll give it a try. I have a set of 15" for it but fear my GF is going to moan about the steering being heavy......and it's supposed to be her car.

Thanks again WP