• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

No Initial Bite After Trackday - Causes?

Paul_13

No they shouldn't.

I give my 1155's f***ing abuse some days and they're fine.

stu8v

1155's are nearly as bad.

Ive had them crumble to nothing mainly when 3/4 worn.

Paul_13

Really?! Never had a problem with 1144/1155

stu8v

Yup worse than the pic above. Actually away from the backing plate.....

Gman

all due respect Paul, and I know you give them a caning on the road, but track days give them a lot more of a work out. Abingdon in particular has a lot of big stops and looking at the wheel when stopped was like looking into an oven!

Is there a pad that exists that gives good cold bite and is great on track, but yet doesn't produce corrosive brake dust? So many pads out there with equally mixed reviews...

stu8v

Haha. You want the moon on a stick....

• Like 1

Gman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1IVJ4JZXU

Paul, take a look at the layout of the track. You need to get involved! The car chasing me has supposedly ca. 240 bhp, but can't see that. According to the comments at the end I was up on two wheels at times!

Bollox, just can't seem to link anything on this stupid website!

Edited by Gman

cheesegrater

all due respect Paul, and I know you give them a caning on the road, but track days give them a lot more of a work out. Abingdon in particular has a lot of big stops and looking at the wheel when stopped was like looking into an oven!

Is there a pad that exists that gives good cold bite and is great on track, but yet doesn't produce corrosive brake dust? So many pads out there with equally mixed reviews...

Brake less ;)

Jon_Bmw

Graham,

I don't think you'll get your money back to be honest so I would not waste your time. I think the crumbling shown is a symptom of the pad getting too hot- I have the same issue. The pad still stops the car very well when it is warmed up so I just treat them as a pad I will get half the life out of, then bin them.

I think the underlying problem is the disc is too small and the heat build up is killing the pad. Fortunately the yellow pad seems to still stop the car at stupidly high operating temps but the downsides are crumbling and glazing of the pad effecting cold stopping massively. I am hitting about 105mph on the back straight before nailing the brakes down to about 45mph(guess) for the left hander, that combined with multiple other hard stops in quick succession is too much for the brake temps I think.

In your situation I would get a set of standard pads for the road and just fit the yellows the night before the trackday. Or spend lots and lots of money on a BBK. By the way some BBKs are epic, I have AP six pots on my z3m as it came with them when i bought the car and cold and hot braking is superb, I just can't justify fitting them on the 205 due to cost/return not being good enough in my eyes.

Cheers

Jon

Batfink

Simple upgrade is get a proper cold air feed to the brakes fitted. This may just bring the temperatures to acceptable levels. You may want to look at CL brakes as a replacement as well before upgrading the discs.

Henry 1.9GTi

have used rc6 down to the backing plate with no issue.

Also have used DS3000 with no issues as of yet.

Standard discs / calipers, no extra cooling. They are used up however within 2-4 hours depending on circuit so don't get much of an opportunity to degrade.

On my road car RC5+ crumbled at 1/2pad life and became dangerous. Couldn't get abs on a soaking wet road. Also had problems in the past with 1144 crumbling and coming away from backing plate.

always steered clear of EBC after friends had problems with whatever colour they fitted. Mainly fire related!

welshpug

Got 10k miles on my 1144's and theyre still good