• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Rear Beam Sitting Too Far Back In The Wheel Arch? Or Rear Bumper Issue

johnhenry

Afternoon all

My beam has never sat right at the back of the car, I have no idea why. I would love to bring the car to someone who knows them inside out, who might be able to shed some light on what it could be.

IMG_1015_zpsb70f4292.jpg

INFO:

> the gap between the wheel arch and wheel is 4cm at the front, and maybe 1±cm at the rear bumper. both sides are the same, suggesting its something on both sides as opposed to accident damage. The beam isn't rubbing at all, so i know its not moving about, its fixed where it is.

> all panels fit properly on the car, and its had a really good look from several mechanics for its MOT - suggesting no huge damage/distortion.

> The rear beam is 3000 miles new, its always been this way, set too far back, even before the new beam. The builder is known on here, and is highly regarded - has checked stuff like the mounting points for the beam (that are handed), and they're on the correct way.

I can't think of anything It could be, only how the beam is mounted up :S

I am happy to drive to someone who is sh*t hot on stuff relating to this, I can offer beers or some funds if so inclined. I can bring any tools/stands/jacks.

Anyone able to help, please let me know, I can work around you, as I left my job, so I'm pretty flexible on stuff.

thanks in advance.

Cheers

John

johnhenry

Im based near cardiff, Wales, But will happily drive up to midlands, swindon, devon. anywhere really.

cheers

jonXS

I cant help you in anyway other than to say that welshpug is kind of near you, if he's not busy in sure he'll come to your assistance. As he seems a nice enough chap :)

• Like 1

Slo

Mine is the same too also drivers side only and mine has its original 1.6 drum beam.

• Like 1

welshpug

pop a rear bush lower nut off and have a look at where the stud is sitting in the slot.

Slo

Me? Do you mean the sandwich bush?

welshpug

anyone who has a problem with the beam sitting too far back.

I did when I first built my beam on the 205 9 years ago as I had this problem before I knew about the offset front studs.

Slo

Just whipped off the offside, it was as tight as a head bolt lol. The stud is sat right at the rear so the beam is probably pushed as far forward as it can go in that respect.

Also measured my wheel to sill gaps both sides 33m equal to the top of the sills where the fold is thankfully so looks like i have a bumper issue :(

I also have matching tyres

Edited by Slo

johnhenry

Thanks all for the help!

have read through all of this.

Just measured with the help of my mum the wheelbase and its 2420mm on both sides, absolutely spot on. So the beam is sitting wheres its supposed to.

its a rear bumper issue making it look like its out of shape.

any known points of damage if there is a slight knock? boot floor is fine, no ripples or deformation

johnhenry

had it all off today, messed around with it,

managed to get each piece into a better position, but not overall, think the brackets themselves have been altered a bit to make it join back up.

once I'm back from Canada ill be picking up some undamaged bumper mounts and some side mount panels from the group buy on here.

thanks for the help all. Cheers

John

dobboy

My car was exactly like this before I got my beam refurb'd.

dobboy

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/uploads/garage_images/image_url-23841-1392411238.jpg

The pic above shows mines was the same as yours, but I forgot to add when i got my beam refurb'd i also renewed the sandwiches and bushes and the big bar thingwybobs..... but it sorted it out.

I remember seeing the bearings that came off and one of them was knacked, the sandwiches looked ok, and i never seen the bush or bar things.

So i would guess that it can only be the bearing or bush or bar where the problem is when this happens.

boldy205

Is it not that you have an offset front beam mount (the one with two studs which comes through the boot floor) on one side and non off set mount on the other side?

jord294

Is it not that you have an offset front beam mount (the one with two studs which comes through the boot floor) on one side and non off set mount on the other side?

Not the case at all. As the beam was supplied by me, and was built exactly as it would of been originally.

MikeC

Should the car be sitting a bit higher?

johnhenry

Should the car be sitting a bit higher?

when looking at it you would think so.

However - as all the bumper mounts and stuff need attention, its perhaps curving the trim more than it should making it look worse than it actually is.