• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Normal Brake Set Up On 1.6

mowflow

I'm in the process of getting someone to make me up some brake lines (yeah, I know, I should do it myself but once I factor in the cost of a decent flaring tool etc it's cheaper to get someone else to make them) the problem is they say that their pattern book only covers non GTi models and going by his description my car is different.

I checked service box to get the diagram for my car but as it's 1991 it gets complicated. It's a ph2 so I assumed the diagram would be under the after 1991 section but the closest one I can find seems to have no compensator and either the servo or the line on the wrong side.

The one below is from the pre 1991 section. It looks about right but i'm going from memory on what I took off (without paying that much attention) almost a year ago. Can anyone confirm i've got the right one and the lengths are indeed correct.

post-23544-0-42300400-1402416302_thumb.png

Tom Fenton

The diagram looks ok but whether the lengths are right or not I wouldn't like to say. Certainly it's a tricky intricate job to bend some tight radiuses in places without kinking the pipe.

welshpug

though it doesn't show the compensator, if you look at it it does show the line from MC to tee piece at the rear is two parts, one of 800 and one of 3000 mm.

description of listing says its for a 1.6 gti or an euro 1300 rallye.

mowflow

Ah! Never even noticed that Mei. I think I've got some long copper wire in the garage somewhere so I may try running that where the lines should be to double check the lengths given are close enough.

Can either of you tell me anything about the connections/unions at the end of lines? Just preempting any questions I may get, not knowing much about brake lines myself. Are they all standard things? The one at the end of the long back to front pipe looks like it might be a bit special.

welshpug

iirc its all normal M10x1.0 unions on a 1.6, one single roll of pipe is not quite enough to do the whole of a 1.6 annoyingly, but always good to have some spare pipe.

it'll be a bit tricky for your guys to make them if their book doesn't cover the gti/rallye.

nothing special about the long pipe, just goes straight into a tee piece, then a flexi pipe screwed directly into the tee piece which is not so common.

mowflow

Cheers Mei.

The guy is just making up the lengths, flaring and fitting the unions then supplying coiled and I'll do the bending. I can borrow the pipe bending stuff from my dad. If I add up the price of a decent flaring tool, the pipe and the unions it costs about the same as what he's quoted. If I factor in my time (which is increasingly limited these days) it would just be mental for me to try it. Especially given the fact I would need more than 1 roll of pipe to accommodate practice cuts/flares.

I think I'm trying to convince myself here more than anyone else. Feel guilty when I don't do things myself.