• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmi

Rear Beam/trailing Arm Hub Shafts

jimmi

Hi Folks, I cannot find any useful info in Haynes manual.

Question: are the hub shafts(pins) on a 205 1.6 gti beam smaller diameter than those fitted to 1.9 gti /309 beam ?

Reason I ask is that I have fiited new wheel hub/bearings and still have play in the hub- top to bottom and side to side . I have re-checked the shaft nut and it is tight.

Anyone got an 'exploded' drawing of the component parts ?

Thanks in advance

welshpug

disk stub pins are longer.

jimmi

Should have said..car fitted with Discs and told it is a 309 beam

welshpug

sounds like the spacer behind the bearing is missing.

jimmi

Spacers are in place... any other ideas ?

welshpug

washer under the nut?

or, ABS stub axle.

or lastly, the shoulder has come off the stub axle.

Pugnut

When you say tight, how tight?

jimmi

run up with airgun n then swung on with snap-on longbar attached to 32mm airgun socket... it will not tighten anymore for deffo

welshpug

probably far too tight and pulled the end off the stub axle then :lol:

jimmi

washer between nut n hub is there as is shoulder at back of pin too... must check dimensions of abs hub/bearing v non abs version.. the ones i took off were non abs..changed them cuz they were old and there was movement in hub when wheel rocked side to side n top to bottom also

jimmi

Starting to think the pins are too short ! The bearings I removed were not noisey but was able to wiggle wheel..and changing bearings has made no difference.

allanallen

If the pins were too short they'd tighten up fine, sounds like yours is too long.

If they are it's very easy to tell, remove nut and drive the bearing right on with a socket or similar. The shoulder should not protrude from the bearing.

What bearings are they? I've had cheap ones (v-tech) not actually tighten up at all

Tom Fenton

To be honest some pictures would help us help you here?

jimmi

car is 1.9 gti with non-abs discs at rear bult for rallying from a 205 XR. and doner car

Heres link to new bearings I fitted: http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/wheel-bearing/bolk-bol-b111003_g654_a999BOL-B111003.html

Note: I do not know history of beam build or whic stub pins are in it. The new bearings are identical to old ones which had same same symptoms ie: movement in wheel when fitted to hub

jimmi

any one got a pic or drawing of the correct build/set-up of washers, bearing etc onto stub pin ?

jimmi

Mystery solved.

Pins are correct length ( 105mm) but discovered they were not pressed into trailing arm far enough. Also look like standard items and are bent. So gonna order up a Group N set as car is used solely for competition.

Who is cheapest for top quality grp.N pins ?

welshpug

Peugeot sport France if they have any.

still doesn't explain your problem if they are correct they should have tightened up.

allanallen

Agreed, they should have tightened up fine.

What's the spec and price of the grpA pins out of curiosity?

jimmi

Grp.N pins have thicker end stub and are manufactured from stronger EN24T Steel.

As per the SKF bearing which I removed ..the new bearing (BOLK - £55 for a set) are rocking on the pin shafts as they are worn and have ridges on them

jimmi

:o​ Dooh !...new stub axle pins fitted .. new bearings/hubs fitted ...and guess what.. I'm stumped...still have movement at wheels top to bottom and fore + aft ... :unsure:​ HELP !!

Tom Fenton

To be honest some pictures would help us help you here?

THIS!

welshpug

did you fit the single washer behind the bearing and one under the nut?

jimmi

did you fit the single washer behind the bearing and one under the nut?

Yip ..both... and the rear spacer is correct way round..Deffo all parts fitted as per the parts on depicted on 'exploded' Peugeot dealership stub axle assembly computer screen..They are baffled also !

allanallen

If the pins were too short they'd tighten up fine, sounds like yours is too long.

If they are it's very easy to tell, remove nut and drive the bearing right on with a socket or similar. The shoulder should not protrude from the bearing.

What bearings are they? I've had cheap ones (v-tech) not actually tighten up at all

If you've driven the bearing on as I stated before and the shoulder isn't sitting proud it's most certainly s*it quality bearings.

jimmi

Allan, willl pop lock- nut off tomorrow after work and check where bearing-shoulder is relative to axle pin shaft end... I see you're located in Buxton..got stranded there one night due to snowfall whilst following the RAC Rally back around 96/97... we had some 'craic' wif the locals and others whilst overnighting in the Inn at top of the mountain pass between Ashford and Buxton...a piano,, in a pub with Locals, Irish, Scots, Welsh ..and many other cultures... all stranded... a great night :-)