• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Door Won't Lock Properly

scbond

Bit of a problem with my door and the lock. In a nutshell...I close the door fully, turn the key to lock it and if I haven't heard the actuator for the central locking I then pull the handle. Normally you hear the actuator when you lift the handle but recently when I do this the door will open and then catch on the lock. The door doesn't open fully and the key won't unlock the door at this point...the only way to do anything is to give the door a sharp push shut and it is then fully closed and still locked and the key can then be used to unlock it.

Any ideas? I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be causing it and I couldn't find anything similar by searching. Haven't taken the door card off yet to have a look but will do when I have chance...just wanted to see if anyone knows what's happening here first.

dogboy1066

I think I had a similar problem. The scissor type mechanism behind the handle can get sticky and this will not allow you to lock/shut the door properly. I tried spraying all manner of penetrating oil in to to free it up, but only replacement with a new handle solved it.

Clapton_Is_God

Perhaps you could try to operate the latch, lock and handle manually with the door open to give you a better idea of what is or isn't going on?

scbond

Can't operate the lock when the door is open by the door pin or the key I don't think.

This seems to have happened only recently after water got into my door and didn't drain. Does the mechanism, any wiring for the actuator or the actuator itself sit low enough for the water to have been a problem? Not seen inside the door of a 205 yet but would've thought all those thing were about the height of the lock?

mrfirepro

pic of the internal door lock

P1010757_666x500.jpg

It's been a few weeks since I put mine back together but it may be worth checking the linkages

iirc the lock operates a catch on the mechanism that allows the internal and external handles to work, the movement of the handles releases the lock mechanism. I have only partially put the doors back together so if you want me to have a play around just let me know, I've not got live wiring yet so cant comment on the electrical side.

power is not needed for the mechanism to work and the mechanism is high enough not to be affected by water

When you lock/unlock the door does the internal catch move up/down respectivley....

Edited by mrfirepro

scbond

Hey guys, managed to have a look and all the linkages were working fine but I found the actuator was held in by just a lower screw and wasn't tight. Moved it to the top and tightened it. Also, there was loads of crud in the door catch which I think wasn't helping. Now works fine, but not before the car locked me out and I had to climb in through the boot! I think I'll be swapping the door as I found randomly drilled holes and a very small amount of rust on the bolt holes...couple that with a small area of damage where the sagging door has rubbed on the sill a bit means I don't think it's worth fixing.

Cheers for the help!