• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Bias Valve Port Fitting Query

chipstick

I've an AP bias valve which I will be fitting over the next few days and I've been looking at fittings in preparation.

It came with the following fittings (AN3 to M10 I believe):

0BBC762F-6CD6-4B06-84E4-62BD277A58E9_zps

Which would be used with female fittings like so:

3F9EB41E-A303-4198-8586-5C4534B2B4F3_zps

I'm wondering if I can do without these Intermediate AN3 fittings and fit straight into the bias valve using a male end fitting like so:

06354CBD-14EB-483B-83A9-94973946776D_zps

Would that fitting with the flare on the copper pipe be deep enough to seal though?

Many of the valves I see for sale include male to female fittings so I'd assume that was for a reason, but then I have seen the odd image of people just having a male fitting going straight into a valve port.

oonip

Prop valve threads are m10x1.0. I'd expect the fitting would be m10x1.0 and 3/8-24 unf.

You can attach straight onto it with a male tube nut it's designed to attach either like that or by copper gasket.

Edited by oonip

welshpug

They dont use copper washers, its a normal taper seat but the threads are usually different hence the need for adapters.

welshpug

M10 union may screw in but wont seal properly.

chipstick

Thanks guys. Interesting.

As the thread of a male fitting appears to work I believe I'll be ok to use it directly attached like that. It's the depth to the taper seat which was my main concern. I shall soon see if it leaks I suppose :lol:

welshpug

3/8 unions are longer.

oonip

The port is designed to be used with either the conical face or a copper gasket. Honest.

It's the same port found on many a caliper inlet.

dobboy

Chipstick, what makes you think you need a bias valve? how does it behave? and what is your current brake set up? (if you don't mind me asking)

The reason i ask is a guy i know who races cars saw my set up and thought i'd likely need a bias valve.

I have a GTI6 MC, 283mm Brembo Max discs and Brembo pads at front , standard 1.9 discs/pads at back, and my back end is single piped/T-pieced.

(I've yet to have a shot of my car to see how it behaves.)

Tom Fenton

You should not mix -3 ("dash" 3) and copper as the angle on the sealing face is different. AN of JIC are 37deg versus 45deg on SAE or DIN (copper flare)

chipstick

M10 union may screw in but wont seal properly.

Ah sorry I missed that when I was writing my reply.

I'm confused now as which fittings I should be purchasing :lol:

Chipstick, what makes you think you need a bias valve? how does it behave? and what is your current brake set up? (if you don't mind me asking)

The reason i ask is a guy i know who races cars saw my set up and thought i'd likely need a bias valve.

I have a GTI6 MC, 283mm Brembo Max discs and Brembo pads at front , standard 1.9 discs/pads at back, and my back end is single piped/T-pieced.

(I've yet to have a shot of my car to see how it behaves.)

I've GTi6 fronts with DS2500 pads and GTi6 rear calipers with the slightly larger pistons.

When last on the road the rears would lock - but I imagine that could be down to knackered rear compensators. I decided whilst fitting new lines I would add a bias valve to give me the flexibility should I find the rears do more than I want in the wet etc.

oonip

You need an m10x1.0 tube nut long enough to reach the bottom of the port so the flared part of the copper pipe seats on the conical face of the port.

welshpug

Not if its a 3/8" thread..

Tom Fenton

Be very careful about correctly identifyng the thread. 3/8UNF and 10x1 are very very close and either will start but be a baggy fit.

oonip

Let me know if you get stuck I've got some hanging around.

oonip

Not if its a 3/8" thread..

Given I sit next to the bloke that designed it I was pretty confident. ;-)

• Like 1